Mobile PhonesHow To Communicate Securely in Repressive Environments
* Purchase your mobile phone far from where you live. Buy lower-end, simple phones that do not allow third-party applications to be installed. Higher-end ones with more functionalities carry more risk. Use cash to purchase your phone and SIM card. Avoid town centers and find small or second-hand shops as these are unlikely to have security cameras. Do not give your real details if asked; many shops do not ask for proof of ID.
* Use multiple SIM cards and multiple phones and only use pay-as-you go options; they are more expensive but required for anonymity.
* Remove the batteries from your phone if you do not want to be geo-located and keep the SIM card out of the phone when not in use and store in separate places.Use your phone while in a moving vehicle to reduces probability of geo-location.
* Never say anything that may incriminate you in any way.
- Iran Election Crisis: 10 Significant Web Videos - Boing Boing
- Iran SMS networks "mysteriously" fail right before elections ...
- Iran Elections Crisis: Online Reading List - Boing Boing
- Iran: What went wrong in the elections - Boing Boing
- Iran: Activists Launch Hack Attacks on Tehran Regime - Boing Boing
- Iranian election uprising: Twitter tracks it real-time, Iranian ...
- Iran: Tim Shey on Observing Social Unrest Online at 32000 feet ...
- Twitter reschedules maintenance to avoid clobbering Iranian ...
- Iran: Neda (warning: graphic video) - Boing Boing