Gold farming, real money trades banned in China

12 Responses to “Gold farming, real money trades banned in China”

“I’m not questioning spending money on a game – I’m questioning spending money on game items that you are “supposed” to be getting through your own efforts.”

Keep in mind that mmos are social games. I used to play one, during a 6 month period i was unoccupied, so i got to play a LOT, and so did a friend that had his back hurt and couldn’t work for something like 9 months.

But we had a third friend that lead a normal life at that point in time, and he could only play during the weekends, and he bought gold so he could keep up with us and the three of us could play togheter.

it’s a game, not a sport, who cares? (and if it really demoralizes you that the other player has the bigger e-dick, you are the one with the problem)

The same reason why they turn money into anything else beyond food, water, housing, clothing and transportation?

I have seen a marked drop in farming on our server. A big rise in scams. These scams are the new gold generation. Steal from people duped into giving you account information. Seriously I think the number employed for gold farming is far overstated, or is based on many other games other than WOW.

Interview with a scammer:

Some common new scams that generate gold for sale: http://www.wow.com/2009/06/12/popular-scams-and-how-to-avoid-them/

This is going to have serious ramifications in Second Life

5. mdh says:

I’ve never understood why people turn perfectly good money into pixels.

6. mdh says:

I think it’s laziness tinged with jealousy, overcome by the almighty dollar (QQ coin, gold piece, etc..).

I think it’s cheating no matter how you slice it.

And I think the ban will do almost nothing.

7. JoshuaTerrell says:

There are so many workarounds here it’s not even funny.

Using Paypal, an arguably “virtual” currency (since money you receive on Paypal is virtual until you dump it into your bank account) you could pay for virtual gold on farming sites and still technically not break this law.

Short term effects? Gold prices are going UP as in right NOW. If you have gold on an MMO, now is the time to cash out.

Long term effects? This law is probably going to turn a reversal once the Chinese gov’t realizes the GDP gold farming is for China.

8. Takuan says:

is there a virtual kidney black market yet?

Good news from china at last.

Gold farmers are scum who ruin online gaming.

When I’m questing I do not need 10 whispers from level one characters called ‘gkjgkkhkjhknkb’ offering to sell me gold. When I’m looking for a group I do not need spam about the latest website selling gold. When I’m grinding I don’t need the area overrun by gold farmers killing mobs and ruining the experience. And when I’m trying to mine I do not need gold farmers using teleport hacks stealing the nodes.

People who defend gold farmers never actually play online games and have no idea how hated they are.

It will be interesting to see if there’s any drop in gold farmers in western games.

btw heres a cool youtube gold farmer link

10. Capissen says:

Someone wrote a really great short story called “Anda’s Game” about the dynamics and real-world implications of in-game economies. Now if I could just remember that author’s name…

11. Halloween Jack says:

If it cuts down on the chronic spam that everyone in City of Heroes gets from gold farmers, I’m all for it.