Boing Boing Gift Guide 2009: nonfiction! (part 4/6)

8 Responses to “Boing Boing Gift Guide 2009: nonfiction! (part 4/6)”

Don’t forget about LIFE INC. by fellow BB guestblogger and all-around big thinker, Douglas Rushkoff — it’s easily the headiest non-fiction book you could pick up this year.

2. JMG says:

The links at the bottom to parts 2 and 3 give 404s.

3. darth_schmoo says:

I just read Nurtureshock, and thought maybe it deserves a mention. It’s a good overview of the up-to-date research on child development. A few things I picked up:

* Praise specific behavior, not intelligence.
    * Kids don’t handle sleep deprivation nearly as well as adults.
    * Talk to your kids about race and racism in a clear, direct way.
    * Your kids are lying to you. No, you’re not the exception. No, it’s not the end of the world.
    * When your teenager argues with you, it’s a sign of respect.
    * How to improve your baby’s language skills in 10 minutes.
    * In case you missed the news, language videos for babies don’t work.

There’s a lot of wonderful stuff in there.

4. coaxial says:

I read half of Reset today (the first 30 pages, and the last 4), and found it wanting. It struck me as just a long introduction, with no climax. I don’t need to be told that we’re at a crossroads. I know that already. I don’t need to be told that we can use this as an opportunity to reinvent ourselves. (“Shock Doctrine” for the left, as one commenter put it.) What I want to know is how I can seize this opportunity. How can I help remake my neighborhood, and thus the country. That’s what I want to know.

5. darth_schmoo says:

Oh, last one:

* Your kids aren’t fighting for your love and affection. They’re just fighting. Bonus: some ideas for teaching siblings to play nice with each other.

6. Jonathan Badger says:

Funny that you have both the 12-hour sleep baby book and a toilet-train your cat book — when I first saw the 12-hour sleep book it reminded me of toilet training cats without even seeing the other book listed — they’re both about subverting natural instincts of small creatures for one’s own convenience…

7. Adam Stanhope says:

How could you forget “Life, Inc.” by your very own guest-blogger Mr. Douglas Rushkoff?

Check out this one- ReAction! Chemistry in the Movies (2009) It’s about movies, chemistry, and chemistry in the movies. Written by Chemistry Professor Mark Griep and Artist Marjorie Mikasen, it’s the result of years of obsession, and there’s nothing like it.