Contemporary African Art Since 1980: exclusive image gallery

15 Responses to “Contemporary African Art Since 1980: exclusive image gallery”

1. peterbruells says:

How dare they not limiting themselves to fetishes, masks and carvings of animals!

Well, lemme see if I can help with the translations. The French ones anyway.

1) the pirate
    2) women are forbidden to wear trousers
    3) Ghost city
    4) Moroccan women / large odalisque

3. khanti says:

Lovely, just lovely. I hope I’m able to view the entire volume someday. Can anyone help with translation of the text in some of the images?

4. Artimus Mangilord says:

Caught my attention with the de Goya rendition on the cover, but I enjoyed the rest, too. A few are quite powerful.

5. rmccall12304 says:

Breathless. True art. Explosive, informative.

6. BrokenRobot says:

There’s a terrific Yinka Shonibare MBE show at the Smithsonian Museum of African Art in Washington DC right now that includes the entire Goya series, among other impressive works. Well worth a stop. (Also, note that Shonibare always uses the honorific MBE–Member of the Order of the British Empire–which he was awarded several years ago. Probably intends it somewhat ironically, given the themes of empire and race that run through his work.)

7. umoja says:

beautiful. i’m glad to see something that isn’t focusing on masks and bare breasted women. that isn’t what africa is. this is africa.

Good stuff. The Miss Lovely Legs Competition is too close to call.

francisco goya, cool.

10. scifijazznik says:

I was very worried when I saw the first image that it was going to be a gallery of African furry art….

11. technogeek says:

Erratic, for my taste, but some of those are stunning. I guess that’s true of any large anthology.

12. Bera says:

When I first so the title of this article, I was thinking :” No, another anthology of low talented, we have to look at because they are from exotic/3d world countries”. But after I saw the picture I have to shut up myself! These artists are amazing!!!

Fantastic and deep expression of the actually point of view of the world by an african artist.

Think about it.

Matteo Fraboni

14. dejawooblog says:

In the last picture it says “les songes de la raison produisent-ils des monstres en Afrique”. The best translation for this is, “dreams of reason produce the monsters of Africa”. It is related to Goya, but in French it’s an expression a sort of hyper-intellectual (des bobos, bien sur) would know. More interesting is to read Yinka’s thoughts about foreign perceptions of African people and his influences. Specifically, Roland Barthes’ Mythologies. Thank you for sharing these images. I grew up in Senegal and Morocco and am glad to see people taking a real interest in African art that isn’t in the form of a mask or some beaded jewelry.