Vintage black-light Marvel posters

12 Responses to “Vintage black-light Marvel posters”

1. Jack says:

Nice! Just note, these posters are HUGE in person. 24″ wide on the longest side I think? And the real world colors are much more vibrant. Cadmium and other fluorescent inks I think?

Excellent stuff!

I used to have a few of these, and auctioned off the display poster (showing all the other posters) a couple of years ago. I’m still disappointed it didn’t go for more than about $500!!

3. EH says:

looks like someone’s upload got interrupted.

4. bjacques says:

I used to see these in the hippie shop at the local mall when I was a kid. If I only knew…

5. devophill says:

I don’t have the $899, but 2128 x 3236? Hello, right-click “save as”!

I used to manage a vintage record shop that had been closed down since 1983 and when the owner let me re-open it there were tons of posters in there from the 60′s through 83. 5 of the posters that I bought right off the bat were these marvel black light posters. In all there was this gorgeous Dr. Strange one, Thor crossing over the Rainbow Bridge, The Incredible Hulk shrunken down ready to take on a wild pig, Captain Mar-Vel taking on the Submariner, and a Beauty shot of Medusa. If you can find these treasures they are well worth it.

I bought the original art to the Dr Strange “Eternity” Gene Colan splash page at Jim Ivey’s Florida comic-con for $35 in the seventies. And still have it.

You’d think Dr. Strange of all people would know better than to eat the brown acid.

9. Halloween Jack says:

Even given the often-crazy prices attached to collectibles, $900 for a poster that was originally marketed to 70s teenagers is… well, it’s probably sad more than anything else. They can get away with these sorts of prices because most kids would have moved them from their bedrooms at home, to dorm rooms, to their first apartments, and the corners would have holes from thumbtacks and left-over adhesive from tape and greasy spots from that Plasti-Tak putty, indications of how much the original owner loved them, like post-pubertal versions of the Velveteen Rabbit.

10. DJBudSonic says:

I still have a handful of these in large postcard size
    ( maybe 6″ x 9″ ) that I assume are original, they came from my wife’s mother’s estate. Also a bunch of greeting cards with the same artwork styles and printing techniques. They are in the fluorescent inks but no black velvet.

She used to take the kids to Sci-Cons in the 70′s. So $900 for a reprint in larger size? I wonder what these originals are worth?

11. Tony Moore says:

Those are killer posters. i’d love to deck out my studio/bar with some of those.

the guy who posted the images, Nick Derington, is also a phenomenal artist. he drew some of my friend Clay’s tiki-noir book, Hawaiian Dick. highly recommended.

• ZDepthCharge says:

Is that Tony Moore as in Tony Moore the comic artist? If so, I’d like to say you sir, are an awesome artist!