18 Responses to “Ian McDonald's DERVISH HOUSE, superb novel of the mystical nano future of Istanbul”

1. Keith says:

I recently read Desolation Road (and have Ares Express queued up on my nightstand). Beautiful work, like The Martian Chronicles spliced together with A Hundred years of Solitude. This needs to go on my reading list as well.

2. Chuk says:

When is this coming out? Loved Brasyl and that big India-set novel he did a few years ago.

3. dhalgren says:

I’ve been a fan since DESOLATION ROAD and I’d put the duology of CHAGA & KIRINYA right up there next to HYPERION & FALL OF HYPERION by Dan Simmons [Chaga here in the States was released as Evolution's Shore. Was Kirinya ever released here in the States?]. So I’ve been along for the ride, so to speak, since the beginning.

As soon as my deposit posted at my bank I ran out last Tuesday and bought THE DERVISH HOUSE and I also bought KRAKEN by China Miéville.

Can’t wait to read both these books.

• Flying_Monkey says:

@dhalgren

No AFAIK, ‘Kirinya’ was never released in the USA. There is also another spin-off of this sequence, the rather excellent novella, ‘Tendeleo’s Story’ which came from small press, PS, in the UK, and then was bundled with three other novellas (by Peter Hamilton, Paul McAuley and Stephen Baxter) in the collections ‘Futures’. Worth getting, if you haven’t already.

4. LesH says:

Great review Cory! I just finished Dervish House and it’s an amazing book. Ian is here teaching at Clarion West this week, brilliantly I might add, and will be reading tonight at the University Book Store in Seattle at 7PM. Cheers; Les

Tuesday • July 27 • 7pm
    Clarion West presents: Ian McDonald
    The Dervish House (PYR)
    Reading & Book Signing
    U District store

Ian McDonald uses fiction with a cyberpunk edge to look at the contradictions of colonialism. In The Dervish House, he explores the way EU membership might affect the ancient culture of Turkey. In a carbon conscious 2027, Turkey is a flashpoint for global intrigue and pandemic terrorism.

5. abulafia says:

Heartily recommended. Brasyl and River of Gods blew my mind and drew me towards writing from other cultures. Agree with the above comment about Desolation Road, wonderful piece of writing.

Chuk, this should be out everywhere by now.

LoG

6. pjcamp says:

I’ve been reading him since Damnation Alley and Out on Blue Six were brand new.

Heartily seconded.

Ian MacDonald is always time well spent.

7. Derek C. F. Pegritz says:

I can’t even begin to describe how awesome Ian McDonald is. I’ve been a fan since I first read Desolation Road in highschool, when it first came out. I would LOVE to see Out on Blue Six reissued. Love? Hell, I’d KILL to see it reissued.

8. ptor says:

I lived in Istanbul a few years ago and I’m really curious to see how such a complicated, gorgeous city is extrapolated in an sf novel. Great recommendation!

9. JonStewartMill says:

I visited Istanbul recently and was charmed by the city and its people. I will definitely check out this book.

I agree totally with Cory’s analysis. This is a fantastic book and one that should be a contender for Nebula and Hugo awards next year.

11. Flying_Monkey says:

A new Ian McDonald? Happy, happy, joy, joy…!

Available in Kindle Store for $1.99 as part of “Sunshine Deals” through June 15 2011

13. jfrancis says:

Who did that cover painting? Looks like Craig Mullins

14. Patrick Dodds says:

Wow, sounds marvellous – might even blast me out of my no-reading, internet-addicted sub-sub self of the last few years.
    Reading makes life deeper. Better. Cooler.

15. Rob Beschizza says:

Sounds effing awesome. I’ve been meaning to catch up with his last one, and now this!

This grisly episode sets off a chain of events that intertwines the lives of several characteristically odd and engaging Ian McDonald: a Greek experimental economist

Lacks characters.