12 Responses to “Existential D&D comedy: when characters realize they are trapped in adolescents' imagination”

1. Antinous / Moderator says:

I never thought of using crossed swords as pasties.

Some really old stories on the same concept:
    “The Intercontinental Union of Disgusting Characters” is a classic

3. muteboy says:

Veteran game designer Jennifer Diane Reitz describes an RPG game she was running where her players’ characters became self-aware, and decided to track down their players, and nearly found them:

4. turn_self_off says:

i am a sucker for bad girl apparently, as i would not mind dating the dreadlocks in the background…

5. VICTOR JIMENEZ says:

Brilliant, I´m sold. As a Dungeon Master (Director, Narrator or Keeper, etc.) for 17 years, I have to recognize that that sounds both familiar and utterly funny.
    Metagaming is the worst offender of the roleplayer´s capital sins.

A-”I´m badly hurt, can you give me a Cure Heavy Wounds potion?”
    B-”No! You ate all the Cheetos while I was talking to the barman”
    A-”That was an useless NPC! You did it to get more roleplaying XPs!”
    B-”You did the same last week in Vampire”
    A-”Ok, I wield my longsword +2″
    Me-”Ok guys, roll for initiative… sigh”

6. Church says:

Now we just have to get a bunch of horny teenagers together and have them play this, for some meta-meta-gaming.

7. Robert says:

I can has sample?

8. optuser says:

I just noticed the module number.

9. optuser says:

Ordered. I am a consumer whore. Thank you, BB, for telling me what to buy (for under $20).

Wiki says Dead Alewives member Dan Harmon created the D&D sketch and did one of the voices. He created and is head writer for NBC’s COMMUNITY. Explains a lot!

10. Avram / Moderator says:

One of the suggested adventures in the surrealist RPG Over the Edge involved the characters learning that they are just characters in a role-playing game.

11. musashi74 says:

Wow – just in time for me to order a copy to take to Gen Con next weekend. W00t!