Downward facing kitteh

30 Responses to “Downward facing kitteh”

1. VICTOR JIMENEZ says:

Well, this cat is Japanese, if you have ever seen any Japanese taking a nap in the train/motorcycle/stair/street or any non burning surface you will understand that this cat is just imitating his human overlords.

Kawaii indeed.

i’ve read that cats that press their head against something hard are experiencing pain. i hope this cat is really okay.

3. irksome says:

Teh Muslim Kitteh.

4. absimiliard says:

One of our cats will sometimes sleep like that. It’s not common, but it’s not all that rare. My wife used a photo of it as an avatar for a bit. (We usually mentally caption the shot as “Stoopid humans” and envision Hippolyta banging her head against a soft pillow in frustration with us)

-abs wishes to point out that the true masters of yoga don’t call that pose anything other than “Meerooowww”, silly humans thinking we know anything about yogic mastery when compared to kitteh…

5. mycophage says:

Much more like “Child’s Pose” (balasana) than “Downward Facing Dog” (adho mukha svanasana); the latter pose resembles the “morning stretch” that dogs (and cats) do with such relish whenever they get up from a long nap.

• Xeni Jardin says:

Yes! Actually, I was trying to think of which pose this reminded me most of. I think it’s balasana, or a variation of malasana where you grip the back of your feet and move the top of your head to the floor.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Shashaungasana (hare pose), for those who aren’t hip to obscure, tantric asana.

• Xeni Jardin says:

Ah, indeed!

• Antinous / Moderator says:

If you want to do it, here’s the recipe:

Sit on your heels with legs and feet together. Place the palms of your hands on the soles of your feet, fingers pointing backwards if you want to make it pretty.

Maintaining hands and butt in contact with your feet, bend forward to touch the crown of your head to the floor while exhaling for eight heart beats. Hold the position for eight beats while holding your breath out. Inhale up to a back bend over eight beats, then hold the back bend with breath in for eight beats.

Rinse and repeat for eight rounds. Your hands should remain firmly on your soles and your butt firmly on your heels for the whole sequence.

I think you just disrupted his “gentleman’s time” ,or something like that as heard in United States of Tara.

7. Donald Petersen says:

Comfy is where you find it. Sometimes you gotta look harder than others.

8. Alcology says:

Day 792. Constant vigilance is finally paying off. I think I found out what “work” is. It is taking a toll on my ability to focus however. Daily meditation is my only way of maintaining sanity. Perhaps the humans have figured this out as they are constantly disrupting my attempts at a peaceful mind. They return home shortly, I must go defecate on the rug to show my dominance.

I think a lot of white cats are deaf :(

Yoga Kitteh wasn’t happy being disturbed.

11. Chris Spurgeon says:

Trusting that kitty is OK. There are brain infections that can cause cats to assume that type of pose.

12. Cynical says:

Weird how certain poses carry different connotations depending on one’s background. The video’s called “Cat doing dogeza whilst sleeping”; dogeza is the very Japanese style of apology where the apologiser prostrates themselves with their forehead touching the floor to show the sincerity of their apology. It was the first thing I, and apparently the video uploader, thought of, yet other people see yoga.

13. skeptacally says:

i has too many cheezburgers?

14. Felton / Moderator says:

Interrupting a cat’s meditation can’t be good for your karma.

15. nehpetsE says:

White cats with blue eyes are usually deaf due to a hereditary neurological condition that seems to correlate with peculiar reflexes and poses not typical to other cats.
    Every deaf white cat i have met (ok… only 4 of them so far), has routinely slept in this head-down stance.

The best way to avoid trying to unsee the horror is to not see the horror in the first place.

17. MadRat says:

I’ve often seen rats sleep like that, it makes you wonder where their heads went.

I do this when I have a massive migraine.

19. mellowknees says:

Maybe it’s a Siamese cat thing – we had a HUGE sealpoint who used to sleep with his head down like that.

“I was sleeping :(“

D’awwwwwwwww! Why I love cats: they’re like little people with their own weird little traits, just like the bigger people.

22. Manooshi says:

Whoah! I can’t believe the kitteh can sleep like that on the railing without falling off and dying! Also, looks like an albino Siamese. Trip out.

23. ill lich says:

I believe he was facing Mecca.