Aliens/ghosts in office windows

21 Responses to “Aliens/ghosts in office windows”

I work at an office building in Trenton, NJ where we have the same type of facade and with the warm, raining, and foggy weather lately we have seen the same phenomenon. My guess is that the hanging brackets for the mirrored glass ties into the building structure and thermally conducts at a different rate then the rest of the glass. The brackets are where the eyes of the ghost are and the condensation in the other areas are due to the temperature differences that do not dissipate as quickly due to the back of the glass having a space or insulating pocket of air.

2. kc0bbq says:

I would have gone with Muppets rather than alien ghosts – what does that say about me? That I’m perpetually 3 years old?

Probably close to the mark.

That photo does reach the dizzying heights of being ‘nifty’.

3. Bitgod says:

The one in the middle reminds me of Earthworm Jim

4. Mark Frauenfelder says:

This is the best photo I’ve ever seen. My new desktop wallpaper.

5. Phikus says:

The best hiding place is often in plain sight.

6. Jake0748 says:

Wonderful!! In time for Halloween too. :)

Reminds me of the Virgin Mary office building in Clearwater, FL.

8. monstrinho_do_biscoito says:

make me think of the shadow creatures at the start of Spirited Away.

9. peterkempt says:

Pareidolia my ass. Those are clearly images of the Alien Virgin Mary. Except for ET Jesus. And Spongebob.

10. relaxing says:

Condensing. Not condensating.

• Jake0748 says:

Since we are talking about ghosts and aliens, I think condensating is quite appropriate.
      And the rest of you explainers… who cares? Its a cool photo of ghosts and aliens looking at you. Don’t be buzzkills, please. :D

• Anonymous says:

But they’re not buzzkills at all to those of us who find the context & causes so much more interesting than just “whoo spooky”.

Everyone’s idea of cool is a little different man!

11. Deidzoeb says:

BB seriously needs pareidolia as a classification.

12. Chocolatey Shatner says:

Or worse: ghost aliens.

13. eagleapex says:

Spoiler alert:
    I have a really good idea about what may have caused the eyes in the condensation. When the manufacturer stacks those insulated glass units up for storage, they place these sticky foam & cork squares on the glass to keep them separate. This probably left some residue which changed how water condensed on the pane.

• Beezy says:

Similar to eagleapex’s idea, I think the process of installing the sheets of glass uses a machine with large suction cups that keep the glass upright and steady until the sheet is firmly adhered to the building facade.

14. Will/Nobilis says:

Sad part is I saw the image, thought “Hey I sort of recognize that building and trees!” Did a search and it turns out that I actually do know where that building is. located. Creepy.

Naw, they’re nose prints – like the ones kitties/doggies/kiddos leave on a clean glass door before realizing the door is closed.

Also similar to the awkward beak/chest imprints with radiating lines of crop-content ejection on the outside of our library windows. These latter images frequently accompanied by a rock dove splayed akimbo on the sidewalk below, somewhat worse for wear.

16. vorpalsword says:

Haha, my first thought was of the Vermicious Knids. “SCRAM!”