Ultra high resolution photos of famous paintings

23 Responses to “Ultra high resolution photos of famous paintings”

1. Art says:

It’s amazingly addictive to regard to most minute of brush strokes and paint applications of the masters.

Even with these macroscopic enlargements, their techniques are still mysterious.

Thanks for the post.

May all the painters learn a lot!

Love this, but is there any way to get the full images without the flash interface? I’d kill to be able to make some HD wallpapers out of these.

• Anonymous says:

That’s probably part of why it’s flash… i’m sure the museums are hesitant to giving up the rights :)

• Anonymous says:

*Do* they have the rights, though? IANAL, but I thought most museums were tax-supported, which means that *we* own them.

And besides, these pictures are *centuries* old for crying out loud. There’s got to be some sort of statute of limitations here. Certainly 100+ year-old books, etc, are widely considered public domain — why not art?

The French museum the Gran Palais just did this really cool interactive Monet website that involves beautiful hi-res shots, too. It’s really cool. http://www.monet2010.com

My first thought was: wow, I’m gonna rip that, print it way big and have a great poster for my apartment. Alas, the watermark militia had planned otherwise. Why is it that the paintings hailed in all quarters as the masterpieces, yes even common human cultural heritage masterpieces, still after hundreds of years aren’t available as public domain high res download for printing in whatever size you want whenever you want?

6. knoxblox says:

I go to the museums mainly to learn…

I’m the guy who’s leaning in as close as possible without actually kissing the canvas and getting beat down by the security guards. However, I do hold my breath.

Sure would like to see this applied to some more modern canvases, like say…Leon Kroll, Isaac Israels, Edouard Vysekal, or Clarence Hinkle (a few of my favorites).

what I find interesting about this is that I saw this painting in person a few years ago and was shocked at how absolutely filthy it is. I’m not talking about expected aging–it’s literally coveredn in black grime . It makes me wonder how much of what you’re seeing here is real.

8. DancingNoDancing says:

See also the work of imaging4art.com. He does mostly large private collections in the U.S, including plenty of recent works like those knoxblox wants to see.

9. jimkirk says:

Anon @7: HD image for wallpaper: here’s one example…

1920 x 1200 pixels, not too shabby.

10. Thorzdad says:

This is incredibly cool! Not just for the gorgeous classic images themselves, but also for the treat of them actually being high-resolution. Far too often on the web, we see 72ppi images being touted as being “high resolution” simply because they are huge images. It’s really cool to be able to browse actual high-rez images like these.

11. gwailo_joe says:

This is impressive technology. . .and such a beautiful painting. But the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, no?

12. Lilting Missive says:

Amazing.

Now I can finally find all the proof I need for my conspiracy theories about ancient world orders without ever even leaving my desk.

Hooray for confirmation bias.

13. Thad E Ginataom says:

“magazine and book printing are typically 300ppi”

Oh, the ravages of the digital age!

Mark, as I’m sure you know, magazines and books do not have pixels: they have dots!

14. Rich Keller says:

That’s been egg tempera-ed. I can tell by the brush strokes.

If you zoom in all the way you can see the craqueleur!

I’d also love to see van Eyck and other Northern European artists from the 15th and 16th centuries put online the same way or Carl V’s Los Honores tapestries from the Escorial.

That’s the Birth of Venus, not La Primavera.