Judge rules against edgy 'troll' Langdell

14 Responses to “Judge rules against edgy 'troll' Langdell”

1. bob d says:

Oh, I hope he faces jail time – he has a long history of making money off of his fraudulent activity, and I don’t think anything less than time in prison would get him to stop. He’s spent years making these patently false trademark claims, often against indie developers who settled because they simply couldn’t afford to deal with the legal costs. Even larger groups found it easier to buy him off than go through the courts, which just put him in a stronger position for his subsequent trolling. I’m glad he took on EA, and in such a ham-fisted way, as he gave them the incentive to fight him, and they had the resources to follow it through, despite Langdell’s delaying tactics.

2. pidg says:

I hope someone has alerted the UK’s top games magazine, er, Edge:

3. travtastic says:

I hope everyone in the world sues this guy simultaneously.

4. johnphantom says:

“…bizarrely edited to suggest Langdell had developed a nearly identical title.”

How the hell do you “develop” a two word title? Is there a committee, and do they spend weeks tossing around ideas and vote?

• jennfrank says:

“…bizarrely edited to suggest Langdell had developed a nearly identical title.”

Cute.

Really, though? OK: ‘Title’ meaning ‘game.’ Maybe it’s industry lingo? I don’t even know. But yeah, titles are released, launched, previewed, playtested, etc., all the time! And don’t get me started on AAA (or Triple-A) Titles. As in, “EA to Launch Fantasy Football MMO Title

*curls up in a ball*

It’s quite odd to see the giant company being the good guys and the little man as the evil monster who’s trying to dick around others. Oh patent and trademark world, what a silly place you are.

I also wonder if this means Soul Caliber will switch back to being called Soul Edge, or if anyone who previously paid Langdell will sue him.

Also if you go to the Edge website he claims to have licensed “Cross Edge” to NIS “worldwide,” whic is a flat out lie cause it originated in Japan and now all the DLC for it was removed from the PSN as well as all references of the game removed from NIS America’s website due to “legal reasons.” I hope this guy gets fked with a rake.

7. Jerry Kindall says:

“Title” for “game” is an example of metonymy, just like saying “I’ve got some new wheels.”

8. VonWatters says:

Excellent! Although the judge does refer to him as ‘Dr’; I seem to remember that title is another claim of Langdell’s that’s a bit iffy.

Not forgetting the excellent http://chaosedge.wordpress.com/ for a good history of this complete prat.

9. kc0bbq says:

In Bizarro World EA are the good guys. :D

I want to buy the judge a cookie. That is the most amusing court order I’ve ever read.

10. salsaman says:

That’s great news!

Hearing about this story last year, I downloaded “EDGE” by MobiGame during one of its brief periods of availability before the iTunes Store yanked it in response to Langdell’s fraudulent claims.

Holy crap I got hooked on EDGE like I haven’t been hooked on a game in many, many years. And then I recommended it to friends and they couldn’t find it because it had been pulled. That made me spitting mad about this Langdell troll. I look forward to hearing about fraud charges.

EDGE is just fantastic. Go get it!
    Best controlled with the on-screen arrows btw.

11. Halloween Jack says:

Does the USPTO consist of anything except low-level clerks with big “APPROVED” stamps and gallons of red ink?

12. Little_Robot says:

I really like the “/fuck_you_fucknuts-35188.html” filename.