22 Responses to “Tom Waits and Preservation Hall Jazz Band release limited-edition 78RPM record and matching limited edition record-player”

1. Eric Ragle says:

Am I weird for being fascinated by record players? I had one as a kid and it wasn’t anything special. But to this day, I wish I had it back along with all of my records.

2. spool32 says:

“The remaining 404 will be available as a standalone record… ”

Surely there’s a joke in there someplace…

• bersl2 says:

The number actually comes from 504 – 100 = 404, where 504 is the telephone area code for metro New Orleans.

In other news, I think I’ll be firing off an email to a friend right now.

3. nixiebunny says:

Time to get my 1948 Wurlitzer 1100 jukebox going again so I can listen to this record.

4. Thad E Ginataom says:

A record player that plays the one record that comes with it.

To me, that is excess packaging. Vastly, ridiculously, insanely excess packaging.

The words “not big, not clever, not funny” come to mind.

Useless.

5. badc0ffee says:

Wonder how many people will ruin these records by using a “microgroove” (new-style vinyl) stylus instead of the proper old-style stylus.

6. bat21 says:

Does it have line-out?

• technogeek says:

Line out… That’s an interesting question. A respectable 78RPM turntable that can be used with other equipment is itself worth a few bucks.

(I actually have a turntable which claims to do 78RPM; I need to get a proper stylus for it.)

7. Cosmoski says:

Tempting offer. Unfortunately, for 78rpm discs I only have a Columbia gramophone. I have a feeling that the heavier arm/stylus and soft metal needles would quickly ruin the modern vinyl disc. Your thoughts?

are they releasing any materials by justin bieber or lady gaga?

And if that is a Crosby record player you can count on it within the first week playing at a variety of speeds besides 78 like 44 or 33 or 23 or 82, all within the same song!

10. Cruxx says:

It’s been suggested that Tom Waits is the Vanilla Ice of gritty bluesy music. I can’t get that image out of my head. Curse you Vanilla Waits!

Sweet record player though. Good thing “Hoarders” has helped cure my impulsive record collecting.

• wrybread says:

Right, because Vanilla Ice was such a committed, dynamic, experimental, unpredictable and interesting artist who somehow kept a boatload of artistic integrity throughout his long career.

• dculberson says:

It is a hilarious mental image, but time has pretty clearly sorted out which one is the better artist.

11. badc0ffee says:

Hmm, I just noticed that it says “78 RPM vinyl” and not shellac. Cosmoski brings up a good point: what would be the right needle to play this album? According to http://www.cool78s.com/faq.html, newer vinyl promotional 78s should use a microgroove needle.

If it’s made of vinyl and uses microgrooves would it still have that distorted 78 RPM sound? Or is it basically a 10″ single you play at 78 RPM instead of 45, with artificially distorted sound?

unfortunately that record player looks like the same crappy “retro” one i’ve seen in target for about $80 – good for the money i guess… you want line out? try this – http://www.numark.com/pt01usb – they go for about $100 (not a hoarder here, just a fanatical record dude!)

13. Ugly Canuck says:

Ah, Mr Waits has explored that old “78 sound” before:

…and IMHO it has a great feel to it. Like something only half-heard, while wondering through an old-time Fair midway, or Carnival, or circus.
    Beautiful and evocative.

I’m guessing that the record plays with a microgroove stylus. I’m basing that on the picture of the phonograph which is playing an LP and does not appear to have a two sided stylus (like my Magnavox Stereophonic Hi-Fi which hopefully will be playing this record if my friend comes through).

When I was a kid we had a phonograph like this (may have been Fischer-Price) and it played 33,45 & 78 rpm. We’d play some old family 78s on it and they never seemed worse for wear (until we dropped or stepped on them and broke them. Good-bye Bridget O’Flynn, Steve O’Donnell’s Wake and a couple of other favorites).

15. Ichabod says:

Yoink! I just sent out my friends to buy one for me thank you for the heads up boingboing!!!

16. ill lich says:

I had a yard sale last month and sold a bunch of my older, less liked vinyl, and did surprisingly well. In fact a 10-year old kid came up and was excited to buy records! The death of vinyl never happened. There even seems to be some evidence that cassettes are coming back! Nobody knows what the future holds.

17. wrybread says:

While we’re recommending record players, I gigantically heart this one:

Battery operated even! Makes those thriftshop stops during roadtrips much more fun.

Has line out. Has built-in speakers, which I wish were a bit louder.