Playmobil Stop Motion Joy Division

17 Responses to “Playmobil Stop Motion Joy Division”

1. a_user says:

Joy Division were notoriously inconsistent in terms of how good they were live, but catch them on a good night and they were amazing.

Oh and there is a compilation of Ian Curtis dancing on you tube

2. Dr jayus says:

Rubbish attempt at Ian Curtis dancing. You’d be better off getting rabbits to mime. I did try, but with limited success.

pfft they are clearly miming.

4. skeletoncityrepeater says:

It should be noted that this used the audio of their only broadcast TV appearance on BBC2′s ‘Something Else’, a lesser known music program. It’s pretty much shot-for-shot, and I dont’t see much difference from the robotic performance of the original. Joy Division weren’t known for very exciting performances.

• FAC33 says:

“Joy Division weren’t known for very exciting performances. ”

Unless you count the eternal question at a JD concert: Is Ian Curtis just dancing weird, or is he having an epileptic seizure?

I’m not kidding. It happened on at least one occasion, maybe more. (He also did get more animated than in this early performance, but he always had a rather herky jerky style of dancing, even before his diagnosis.)

I’d also have to go check the original to see if Peter Hook was playing a six string bass yet. I think this is a bit early for that.

5. BWJones says:

As Xeni said, ultimate BoingBoing post is right. This is… perhaps the archetypal BoingBoing post. Thanks Sean.

6. EH says:

Actually, it tracks better if you set the start times to 11sec and 22sec, respectively.

7. Black_Vase says:

The dancing is accurate, but they got the expression wrong. Ian Curtis never smiled. Ever.

8. Mondongo says:

I know, it’s already been said, but — that drummer is made of AWESOME!

Now I want more videos and more playmobil drummers.

9. franko says:

they are all way, WAY too smiley. kinda freaks me out.

That drummer is AWESOME.

This song always makes me think of the movie “24 hour party people”. or at least the seen where JD is recording and the producer puts the drummer on the roof.

12. nixiebunny says:

A rather wooden performance.

Oops, I meant plastic.

13. irksome says:

I gotta say, Ian Curtis hasn’t looked that good in years.