Demdike Stare podcast: a mix from the magickal masters of dubtronica

12 Responses to “Demdike Stare podcast: a mix from the magickal masters of dubtronica”

Demdike Stare is colder than a witch’s tit but hotter than Satan’s grundle. Thanks for the link.

2. David Pescovitz says:

I haven’t heard of those, bzar and properdom. Thanks!

• David Pescovitz says:

OK, so I couldn’t help myself. Ran over to Aquarius Records in SF this afternoon and bought the 3LP set.

3. Rich Keller says:

Ever find something that you didn’t even know you had been searching for? That’s what this music is for me. Thanks.

And I’m jealous of the big pile of runes the Bond Girl has in the picture on the right.

• David Pescovitz says:

That’s a great comment, Rich. I felt the same way when I first heard it! And it was the cover that drew me in!

4. properdom says:

Have been loving these records! As well as “Tryptych” from last year Demdike Stare released another album the year before called “Symbiosis” which I can also recommend very highly!

Modern Love is probably my favorite UK label by a line, so many good releases!

For more moodiness in a similar vein check the label Blackest Ever Black http://blackesteverblack.blogspot.com/ which has been on an excellent streak since forming last year.

Miles Whittaker has been involved in some excellent music over the years, his involvement means buy on sight for me:

MLZ – Under which he released his dub techno stuff
    Pendle Coven – Moody techno project with Gary Howell
    Millie & Andrea – Dubstep (ish) project with Andy Stott

Great to see this kind of music getting some attention on Boomkat!

• bzar says:

thanks for your recommendations, properdom! let me add another one: Anworth Kirk, a side project by DS with Andy Votel – beautiful stuff, in the similar vein.

• properdom says:

I should review my posts!

Great to see this kind of music getting some attention on Boing Boing, not Boomkat, that is proper Freudian slip there as it is Boomkat where I buy most of my music these days!

5. properdom says:

P.s. all the art work is by Andy Votel

6. squeakstar says:

Woah – I’m having a synchronicity moment with BoingBoing! Mate of mine sent me a link for a richie hawtin mix on xlr8r just yesterday. checking out the site i scavenged the previous podcasts and wet myself when i found this exact mix, and then doubly wet myself when i saw the tracklist and noticed the tracks from Irdial records listed in there, which i’m currently going through a phase of revisiting their back catalogue, and is also freely available on archive.org – good chunk of it anyway.

For the Demdike Stare newbs, do check out the visual counterparts to the music on youtube/vimeo. They apply rapid fire montage techniques from old forgotten westerns, hammer horror, sci-fi to the pulse of the music to mesmerising effect. If you only check one video out check Hashashin Chant http://vimeo.com/17764352

Also speaking of Irdial, a quick search shows it’s been a while since you caught up with what they’re up to these days; sounds like they’re brewing ideas up for a template to create a libertarian new world order by ignoring the state and not protesting! Sweet!!! http://irdial.com/blogdial/

7. pAULbOWEN says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you David!!

8. zyodei says:

I once lived in a house near seattle with eight other roommates. Have of them were the core of the local college radio station.

My roommate in the basement, a DJ, had a pair of technics set up through some crazy wiring to about 30 dumpster dived speakers hanging on the studs all around the basement.

One day, the college radio station (KUPS) decided to ditch its collection of LPs. Something like 20,000 of them.

Guess where they ended up?

Yes, we spent the whole summer totally geeking out, scratching all sorts of ridiculous music together…James Brown with Skinny Puppy, Rachmaninoff with Cannibal Corpse, Sonny Rollins with ABBA, Drum&Bass with Frank Sinatra.

Needless to say, it was waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too much fun.