Woman buys valuable piece of outsider art resembling iPad for $180

32 Responses to “Woman buys valuable piece of outsider art resembling iPad for $180”

1. better still than a block of electronics with an Apple logo on the back

2. MrEricSir says:

Protip: when buying electronics from a shady guy in a parking lot, you might want to inspect it first.

3. Mari Lwyd says:

That’s the most clever article reframing I’ve seen since the last time I visited Drudge.

4. the fingerprint powder gives it an interesting quality. i bet she could make her $$ back selling it on ebay (as art, not as an iPad)

5. Antinous / Moderator says:

You missed the best part.

McDowell told probers that the swindlers were driving “a white Impala
    with no rims and no tint.” One of the men, she noted, “had a gold
    tooth.”

6. Maneki Nico says:

If this Boing Boing thing doesn’t work out, Mark could always get work as a spin doctor.

7. Guest says:

Yes, it may sound hard to believe, but my usually savvy cousin fell for the same swindle on a street corner in Buffalo, 4 years ago, for an iPhone that turned out to be a brick. Although only $300 lighter, he should have known better; his Mom was a *Moegoe* who fell for the Nigerian get-rich, dubious-inheritance trick, twice!

• It’s hard for me to pity people who get ripped off when trying to purchase stolen merchandise.

The best example is those “I’m a corrupt dictator trying to smuggle millions out of my country. Can I use your bank account?” nigerian schemes. Feel lucky that you only lost a few thousand.

Just think what position you would be in if it had been real… You just helped a war criminal steal millions. Bravo!

• Guest says:

I’m sorry, did you read my post or do you just like dealing in non-sequiturs?

It’s hard for me to feel sorry for people with reading comprehension problems or people who incessantly write in the second person for no apparent reason.

• Lane Yarbrough says:

Search iCarbon and iCoat, some are wood grain.

8. Lane Yarbrough says:

They did not “paint on” the scene, it’s too easy to buy an iPad decal. This is definitely a re-scam…something from Ebay probably….And that’s a Best Buy tag too.

9. Philipshade says:

Reminds me of guys selling “new” camcorders on the street in NYC. Get home, un-seal the box and find yourself a nice brick.

10. Lane Yarbrough says:

I’m calling it, can’t find the exact image, but HP’s Touchpad ads are the only ones on the market whose ad’s are just like the image on the left.

11. i_prefer_yeti says:

That’s a steal at twice the price!

12. yri says:

Cargo cult!

13. DEJJ says:

Her first clue should have been the logo.  It’s clearly too high on the back.

14. mtdna says:

It’s still better than a Zune.

15. Ted Brennan says:

Didn’t Mark have an article about how to build a DYI iPad in Make Magazine?

16. says:

Yes, this woman was foolish. The victim blaming in the Gawker article is still sleazy as hell.

17. jimb says:

I don’t buy this. The way it’s told, the scammers relied on their victim not opening the package until it was too late – nobody is going to believe the item shown in that picture is an actual iPad. So then, why would they waste effort putting any graphics on it at all, particularly that Apple logo?

I think the woman who told the reporters (and the police?) this story is the only scammer, trying to get attention.

Edit: Ok I just read the linked article and it does mention this point, although it doesn’t seem to occur to the author that it couldn’t have been the woman making it up, rather than some scammers who were (also) being stupid.

• codesuidae says:

“why would they waste effort putting any graphics on it at all”

Perhaps in addition to being scammers, they have a trollish sense of humor?

18. pjcamp says:

She bought a fetish of a fetish? How meta!

19. sata blank says:

This is good, but not as good as this was. http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

20. Terranex says:

Victim blaming? If you are THAT STUPID, you deserve to be blamed.

*ahem* I mean, would you like to see my $3 miniaturised yellow touchscreens? You can only write on them with a pen or pencil, but you can take away the ones you use!

21. librtee_dot_com says:

Woulda fooled me.

22. garyg2 says:

Hopefully she didn’t try IMing her out-of-town boyfriend with it or anything.

23. Osamabama says:

I got one of these in much better condition (muh clearer graphics, no scratches) and will reluctantly sell it on for $150. That’s $30 less than the white Impala gang’s price.

24. stevebr says:

Still a good deal. It’s smaller, lighter and more powerful than a P-P-P-Powerbook! On the other hand, the battery life is about the same.

25. BWAFFLEZ says:

the seller was honest.  that’s exactly what a fetish is…