Zombies Run! Kickstarter-funded mobile game about running

14 Responses to “Zombies Run! Kickstarter-funded mobile game about running”

1. brunjaa says:

Hum… Unrelated to http://www.zrli.org/ ?

2. theclar says:

What a great idea. I was wondering the woman in the video suggests that there are other apps in this category(without stories). What are they and has anyone used any?

3. theclar says:

Great idea! For some reason I never tire of zombies. The woman in the video suggests there are other games in this category(without stories). Anyone know what they are and if they’re any good?

4. I am the woman in the video :-). In fact, theclar, the game I was thinking of was the exact one that brunjaa links to! We didn’t know it existed before we came up with our idea but I felt it was worth mentioning that the idea isn’t fully unique. But I don’t know of any similar game with an ongoing narrative like I’ll be writing for this.

• waetherman says:

Wait a sec here; so you’re saying that you’re not a part of the open source project Zombie, Run! but that you know about the game and still decided to go ahead with your project and call it Zombies, Run! without giving specific attribution to the original? This seems like a pretty big violation of the ethos of open source, and a big trademark no-no as well. Personally I wouldn’t support any project that had such shady roots, no matter how original the plot.

5. Snig says:

I like the idea, not crazy about the traffic risk of running with both ears plugged up.  I know lots of folk do it with music.

6. Erik Peterson says:

There’s already a pretty fun Android app called Zombie Run.  It uses the GPS to spawn zombies on your running route that you have to take detours to avoid.  It also has speed options depending on what type of zombie you want to be running from from Dawn of the dead to 28 days later.

7. jlargentaye says:

So, in effect this is like Progress Quest), except you have to physically run to make the progress bar increase? :)

This might actually work!

8. I love all of the different running apps on Android, my current fav being RunStar, but this made think of something that’s been nagging at me for a while:

Can we get some sort of mechanism that lets them interconnect and read each other’s data?  I’d love to be able to use this once in a while when I run and then the next time I use RunStar it reads my stats and adds them to my RunStar totals, or iMapMyRun, etc.  Maybe a standard format for fitness tracking would be good?

Tangentially related, I would love a way for apps like the above that play music to be able to read an exposed Stream API from apps like Spotify, Pandora, etc and hook them in.

I guess I need to dig into some Android programming and make it so.

9. zombierunner says:

Whilst the mockups on the kickstarter video look much more elaborate than the original, this is NOT a new Ideas. Anyone considering participating in the kickstarter should at least look at the OPEN SOURCE ORIGINA, which has been in the Android market for at least a Year, FIRST. http://www.zrli.org/zombierun/about.html

10. Susan Carley Oliver says: