14 Responses to “Tracking down the stories behind a trove of 1920s report cards from a NYC girls' vocational school”

1. imorgan73 says:

“girl-children”…. there’s a word for that… let me think…. ah, “DAUGHTERS”

2. misskansas says:

Fantastic undertaking.

3. Ambiguity says:

Very cool project, but I wonder if it’s actually legal, or if it runs afoul of the Federal Education Rights Privacy Act (FERPA). The release of educational records is quite regulated.

4. Nater says:

If the subject is dead, it’s a historical document, not private information.

5. pKp says:

Yup, seems the women in these cards are all dead (most of them would be in their 90s or 100s, so it isn’t very surprising). The article is truly fascinating, great find there and great researching.

6. dculberson says:

Her father is a stevedore and she plays the ukelele.  How much more awesome could you get?

7. Katey Corrigan says:

This is great.  I am presently working (as a volunteer) on an archive that is partially made up of documents relating to an alternative junior high school in New York that was called the Paul Hoffman Junior High School or PS 45. Other than what I find in these boxes, I haven’t been able to track down much info about the school. This might inspire me to try to track down former students and their descendants to fill in some of the blanks.

8. Frank Diekman says:

“Walks around as if she were dying – absolutely pepless” – FTW

9. Kodascope says:

At George Eastman House I helped to preserve a 28mm gauge film from 1911 entitled “Manhattan Trade School For Girls.”  You can see a version with added narration and music here:  http://www.filmpreservation.org/preserved-films/screening-room/manhattan-trade-school-for-girls-1911

• penguinchris says:

Neat, as if the school records as presented didn’t already bring the story to life in an extremely evocative way! I went to U of R and am a big fan of the Eastman House (well, the film screenings at the Dryden Theater in particular).

10. Guest says:

I’ve done a lot of public records research. Public records 100 or more years ago existed to document what was going on. Hand written, full of extraneous details, with decent penmanship and plentiful facts.  Todays public records exist to cover the ass of the administrators and convey no more than the mandated minimum of actual fact.  This is true from the local fire department all the way up to the pentagon.

11. penguinchris says:

One nagging question… what percentage of these records was left behind, and presumably is now in a landfill somewhere? And to take it further… how many other neglected file cabinets like these are out there (and how many are in landfills)?