The most dangerous place to be a park ranger

19 Responses to “The most dangerous place to be a park ranger”

1. Brainspore says:

Also, he has to protect the park from Balrog poachers. It takes a pretty tough dude to work in a place where regular volcano eruptions are one of the least dangerous aspects of the job.

2. Dean Putney says:

Wow, that’s a powerful story. I’m in awe of people who will devote their lives to conservationism like this.

3. Ramone says:

Gorilla poachers? There’s a LIVE VOLCANO BEHIND HIM.

4. RJ says:

His wallet is the one with “enculé mauvaise” on it.

5. MadMolecule says:

METAL.  That photo makes Reign in Blood sound like the Carpenters.

6. Romeo Vitelli says:

All the African parks are dangerous.  When I visited the Ngorogo Crater park in Tanzania, there was a monument to all the park rangers who were killed on duty there.

7. “Surprisingly, despite all that, large parts of Virunga are safe enough for tourists. According to Wikipedia, the park gets 3000 visitors a year.”
    One of those visitors being Douglas Adams – he went trekking through the Virungas with Mark Carwardine in the 80′s. It’s chronicled in “Last Chance to See,” a book entirely worth reading.

8. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

Erupting volcano?  I think there will be plenty of charcoal for everyone very soon.

9. Hugh Johnson says:

That man has more balls than I will ever have.
    Plus, cute boots!

10. Gutierrez says:

I doubt this guy would take any shit from Yogi.

11. adonai says:

I don’t think he really needs a gun. If he can nonchalantly pose for a photo while a volcano spits out lava several hundred metres into the sky, then I’m fairly sure he could club poachers to death with his massive balls.

12. Jeff Denault says:

I summitted Mt. Nyiragongo, the most active volcano with the largest permanent lava lake in the world,  in Virunga National Park in 2010. We were accompanied by several guys like this.

Please see a short timelapsed video of my trip.

13. Susan Carley Oliver says:

This might make neat Christmas gifts, in a spirit similar to Heifer International.

14. Alvis says:

Is there some kind of atmospheric effect at play that I don’t understand, or is this one of the worst Photoshop jobs ever?  I mean – there’s a big ol’ gap between the mountain and the lava eruption…

15. s f says:

Very, very cool.  I applaud this young man for his dedication to his work in the face of such incredible danger.  FYI, park rangers in the US have the highest rate of assault of all federal officials.  Volcanoes, guns, assaults…  we’ve got all that stuff too.

16. Ms Colby Butler says:

this is definetly photoshoped! doesn’t even touch the mountains..and the atmospheric perspective is off….the mountains are dulled but the lava is super bright..ANNND theirs no way you could be standing when that lave is shooting out …that high… no way! Its fake.

No question he’s still a brave dude, even a little lava would scare the shit outta me.  but i think “photo” isn’t the right word to describe this image.