Pogo: The Complete Daily & Sunday Comic Strips - exclusive preview

15 Responses to “Pogo: The Complete Daily & Sunday Comic Strips - exclusive preview”

1. blearghhh says:

Beautiful.  When I was growing up we had a bunch of Pogo books with selected comics, and I always wanted to see the rest… Between this and the new Asterix reissues, I’ll have a whole lot of reading to do.

Bill Waterson has said that Kelly was artistically a huge influence on him, and when you see how wonderfully the characters and the backgrounds are drawn, it’s pretty obvious to see.

2. Adam Holland says:

I pre-ordered this on Amazon over two years ago.  Because of their delays (explained in the Editor’s Note) it came last week, and was totally worth the wait.  I can’t wait for the next 11.

3. Marktech says:

Oh, boy.  Deck us all with Boston Charlie, because someone is most definitely getting me this for Christmas. Even if it turns out to be me.

4. Clifton says:

Man, I love his work, and his sense of outrage over things we all should be outraged about, and the way he responded to such things with dry wit and caustic satire.

I grew up on old Pogo collections.  When I get home, I’ll type out the blurb from one of them, which advertises itself as “a fine cheap book for the burning”.

5. Please educate me, really. Is it possible for a book to be “complete” and an “anthology” at the same time?

6. efergus3 says:

Yup – feels like time to dig out I GO POGO and watch it again. Joy all around.

7. herschel says:

All due respect to Walt Kelly, whose work I adore — but it’s not really that “hard to think of another newspaper cartoonist who equalled his talents”. That would be George Herriman, who predated him by decades, and without whom there wouldn’t have been a Walt Kelly.

8. This first volume is beautifully done, and just as funny and moving as I remember. I’m looking forward to the McCarthy era strips.

9. efergus3 says:

Walt Kelly: “We gotta make democracy safe for the world.” and “We have met the enemy and he is us.” Brilliant man.

10. pjcamp says:

My favorite bit was a break Kelly took in the middle of the McCarthy strips to have Albert Alligator and Howland Owl compete in a thinking contest.

Friday the 13th done coming on a Tuesday this month. Y’all be careful.

11. Clifton says:

“Hear ye, goodwives & good men all!  This book, as well, is concocted by some fiddle-faddle wizardry of bat’s wool, of newt-eye, adder’s-fork, blind-worm’s sting – and worse, God wot, of ideas.  Its pages are foxed with a small magic, an eerie stain of laughter, which in these times is not in the publick interest.

Here, good folk, is a fine cheap book for the burning. ($1.00)

Leading alchemists have, on their blood, sworn that the aforesaid book doth burn with a goodly light, brightly and clearly.  Its pages are consumed in a trice with a quick and pretty blaze.  When the smoke has cleared there is a most satisfactory ash, at once pleasing in texture and soothing to the humours.

Have ye been standing idly by for lack of book, envious of the richer neighbor?  Or have ye been put to great cost to procure volumes for the flame?  Have the books consumed been of heavy thickness, burning slow with trouble?

Such tribulation, good people, is at an end.  The Pogo Papers costs but little.  Men of humble means shall not be denied the joys of conflagration.  Marry, ’tis only this book which adapts itself to modest purses.  One dollar and a penny match are all that good men need.  Then with a good will and a lighted eye can ye every heart set to!

Join ye then, for a trifling sum, with all men of like complexion to gather round the flames which send the long and merrie shadows leaping through the land.”

(Goosebumps on that last line.)

12. Thomas LaFarge says:

Really happy to hear about this. Kelly was the best draftsman in the industry; his pen-and-ink work has always enthralled me as much as the stories. Breslin gets it a little wrong in that introduction, though. Joe McCarthy was not a pig (that was Krushchev, later) but a wild cat, Simple J. Malarkey.

13. redsrevenge says:

I wonder if the top strip gave Lee Marvin the idea for the bit in Hell In The Pacific where he shows/teaches Toshiro Mifune how he wants him to run out into the water and “fetch”?

John Boorman stated that it was Lee’s idea during the setup for the shot.

rr