8 Responses to “Leonard Cohen's new Old Ideas: pure distilled Cohen, the apotheosis of gravelly poetry”

1. That is a very striking photograph.

2. solitaire says:

It’s such a lovely pleasure to see the entire album streaming free and legal on the day of release; Mr. Cohen is a wise man. I must insist everyone take a weekend or two to read his novels (Beautiful Losers and The Favourite Game). They’re quick reads but they’ll stay with you for a long time. It’s almost ritual for me to read through Beautiful Losers on any journey into Canada.

3. Paul Renault says:

You should listen to Cohen as if it were cowboy music, with the drawl and the twangy guitar.  Really.

It’s his suggestion.

/former Montrealer.

4. Mujokan says:

I studied tea ceremony, but I never got it until I saw an old monk do it casually. I’ll listen to this while I’m going to sleep.

What I’m listening to on rotate is a track which BB put up but I hadn’t bothered to play just now, Sun God by Squirrel Bait. Realized I had this on a Homestead compilation called the Wailing Ultimate many years ago. Belated thanks.

5. Cat Chew says:

Ladies and Gentlemen… Mr. Leonard Cohen (film from 1965, approx 44m)

6. Emma Aistrop says:

I’m so glad he released another album! He’s such a talented singer, and I think this release showed that he’s still got it :) I also like how more modern artists are covering his older songs, it shows that Cohen will be around for many more decades! Cults definitely got it right with their cover of “Everybody Knows.” There’s a video of it posted online: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/feb/01/new-music-cults-everybody-knows

7. that’s great but if you’re going to buy this music get it from Leonard Cohen’s site, not Amazon, http://www.myplaydirect.com/leonard-cohen/old-ideas/details/26569146?cid=lg:eht&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=leonardcohen.com&utm_content=discog
    Same goes for any music or books you buy, try to get them direct from the producer if you can cos amazon and itunes will just take a big cut away from the artist.

8. EH says: