Wonder: tearjerking novel is an inspiring meditation on kindness

Wonder [amazon.com]

14 Responses to “Wonder: tearjerking novel is an inspiring meditation on kindness”

1. travis says:

I’ll have to look for this the next time I’m at the bookstore.

2. MetalPorkchop says:

Thanx for that post.  I don’t find too many fictional books that I want to read from cover to cover. I rely on trusty recommendations, as in someone who would read The Salmon of Doubt for the fifth time, rather than give Twilight a go.  I have a suggestion as well.  I got this book for Christmas, and I read it in a couple of evenings.  The book is: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.  It’s not long, so not a huge time investment and reads very quickly.  It takes place post WWII in the UK, and reflects on Guernsey during the German occupation, but that is not what the book is about.  The story is about human spirit and how we all have the same basic needs, but our reactions to the same events can be so different.

3. vertigo25 says:

My daughter was born with a bilateral cleft. She’s 11 now, and recently told me that some older girls at her school made fun of her lip. This is actually, and thankfully, the first time it’s happened (because, I suppose, her deformity is not *that* bad and her personality always endears her to people). It infuriated and saddened me. All I could think to tell her was that those girls were jerks and that no one has the right to make fun of *anyone* over something like that.

I’m wondering if this book might be good for the two of us. If it might be something that would be like a “it gets better” thing for her.

4. deathisastar says:

> August has cleft palette

A cleft palette is quite common (to accommodate the hand). A cleft palate, perhaps?

5. License Farm says:

There’s actually a trailer for the book that stars my nephew, tho you never see his face (which is, in reality, normal & cute) nor features his voice, but check it out nonetheless: http://youtu.be/QOXDD3atWco

• Palomino says:

There’s a fantastic documentary/short special  about children auditioning for Peanut’s voices. Your nephew could be a definite shoe-in for Charlie Brown.

Now that I think about it, I can’t   recall  ever seeing a high quality video advertising a book, like a movie trailer; this one will have this book flying off the shelves.

6. kansas says:

“(which is, in reality, normal & cute)”    Words fail me.   Somebody please explain to the cute nephew’s uncle.

7. garyg2 says:

“Wonder becomes more than a story about a poor disabled child who overcomes bullies to find acceptance in school ”

And the cynic in me thinks that’s *exactly* how a hollywood version of this book would be sold…