Rejected Star Wars toy ideas

34 Responses to “Rejected Star Wars toy ideas”

1. Christopher says:

As a kid I really would have loved to have both the inflatable Emperor’s chair and Yoda’s Dagobah pencil sharpener.

As an adult I’d still love to have the inflatable Emperor’s chair. I can’t help wondering why it got rejected. And the talking Darth Vader chip clip. Come on. Who wouldn’t love a chip clip that says, “I have you now!”?

2. semiotix says:

I’m genuinely astonished to learn that any Star Wars merchandising, ever, anywhere, was rejected for any reason whatsoever.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Well that seems like a challenge for somebody to create a Jar Jar Binks buttplug.

3. IronEdithKidd says:

I might’ve bought a deathstar basketball.  I definately would’ve eaten ramen for a couple weeks to get my hands on an inflatable Emporer’s chair.

Say, whatever happened to the deathstar beach ball?

4. Wisconsin Platt says:

I can understand that the straw would emerge from the light saber on the Yoda Cup Topper.

But what about Chewbacca?

Chewbacca doesn’t have a light saber to extend and become a straw.

5. robert says:

Can we as the great internet community make some sort of agreement to take a year long break from Star Wars?  God knows I loved that movie as a kid and saw it a dozen times in the theater, but Jesus, I think enough is enough.   What is left to take from it?  The movie is 30 years old and I don’t think I can go a day without seeing some reference to it on the internet.  It’s tired.  Let’s move on.  Maybe we can do a funny take on those Shepard Fairey Obama posters.  That would be clever.  Or spoof those old inspirational posters with the black borders?

6. PhosPhorious says:

A Lightside/Darkside salt and pepper shaker set is the greatest idea that anyone has ever had, ever.

Ever.

7. HahTse says:

I would have bought the throne at once.

I mean…HOW COOL IS THAT THING?!?!?!111

8. i_prefer_yeti says:

Going back to the original list, the inflatable Death Start would work well using the same tech as those flying/floating remote controlled sharks. Indeed, I won’t be surprised in the least to see a tie fighter or one of those new-fangled clone wars series ships on the market shortly.

9. Tim Nolan says:

How long does the copyright stand on these. I would love to make a speederbike pushbike for my son…

10. Deidzoeb says:

That’s sad. Training academy class rings that would have been awarded to the younglings if they hadn’t been [*spoiler alert*] massacred by Anakin.

11. jimh says:

What a missed opportunity for the Jar-Jar Binks™ inflatable punching bag.

12. Who the hell rejected the Han Solo in carbonite popsicle mold?

13. yobar says:

That Vader lavalamp and my black light would have gone together so well!

14. Bucket says:

I don’t even use windshield sun blockers, but the one (from the first installment) with the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon is pure genius.

ThinkGeek has Han Solo in carbonite ice cube trays, very similar to your popsicle molds in most respects.

15. grimatongueworm says:

Man, they would have sold a  Brazillion of those Academy rings.

16. Hanglyman says:

These are really imaginative, but I can see why some of them wouldn’t sell well. Even the most rabid Star Wars fan would be embarrassed to have a goddamn R2-D2 slide projector or Star Wars golf set. Well, maybe the second most rabid fan would be, anyway.

17. Preston Sturges says:

Maybe the inflatable throne will show up in Henchman 21′s dorm room.

18. samhandwich says:

How did they come up with SO MANY bad ideas?

19. skyhawk1 says:

When are they going to make the slave Leia popsicle mold?