16 Responses to “Austin loses an icon of High Weirdness: Albert Leslie Cochran, homeless, thong-wearing, would-be mayor”

1. tylerkaraszewski says:

Which was the first city with the “keep [our city] weird” bumper stickers? We have them here in Santa Cruz and I feel like I’ve seen them for other places, maybe Portland or Boulder.

2. uricacid says:

holy crap, I was in Austin for half a day sometime in the early 2000s and I totally saw this guy.  (well, either him or some other homeless-looking, thong-wearing guy)

3. Spinkter says:

I remember when he first showed up.  Back then, there were still blue-collar workplaces near downtown.   He was not “universally accepted”.  To say the least.

4. cstatman says:

the mid ’90s?  I first saw one in Austin in the mid 80s (replying to Housewarmer about Keep Austin Weird” stickers)

5. Albie Farinas says:

Isn’t Leslie one of Donald Trump’s Xs…..?

6. ieatlegos says:

I was in Austin with my ex, and she wanted her picture taken with him.  He said he’d do it for beer money, so we gave him a couple bucks, and while I was waiting for the camera to turn on he unzipped his thong and pulled his twign’berries out, which made for an interesting picture.  He was creepy, wrong, funny, and vagrant, and I’m proud to have known him.

7. RumorsofmyDemise says:

I have a picture of this guy in an album from my first ever road trip as a teen. It was one of those coming of age defining journeys for my (still) best friend and I and Leslie was definitely a part of it. Sad to see she’s gone.

8. James says:

The first time I saw Leslie was at Breaker and North Lamar in North Austin. He was hanging out on the corner in front of a local grocery store, we gave him some smokes. The next day he was there again and while we were at the stop light. the store’s manager was out there turning the sprinklers on him. This began the first real media coverage of Leslie. From there he grew to be a part of the tangled fabric that is Austin, Tx.

9. RIP, Leslie, you surly, sweet, hilarious and always entertaining freak. Your passing may end up being the signal that Austin as we knew it is Officially Over.

10. JDH says:

Boulder had a “3 square miles surrounded by reality” bumper sticker definitely by the mid 80s.  I think it’s Austin and Boulder who had these stickers first.

I met Leslie a couple years ago.  He was wearing red ruffled-lace panties, the ruffled lace going across the back in a few rows.  He had on stockings and a garter belt with heels, and I think he was wearing a super tight, cropped-short, black sleeveless spandex top.

My sister has known him for a very long time.  I was upset for days after she sent me the text saying that Leslie had died.  Total bummer, to say the very least.  I’m so glad to see people from around the country who knew and remember him, and the articles and photos and videos are so fantastic.  RIP Leslie, we will miss you greatly!!