23 Responses to “Kickstarter to fund development of Arduino-based, browser-controlled open source hardware automated gardening dome”

1. voiceinthedistance says:

Missed opportunity:  Kickstarter to fund development of Arduino-based, browser-controlled open source hardware automated gardening gnome

• brerrabbit23 says:

That was exactly what I’d read, the first time through.

• RobVdm says:

I came here to post how I misread the title but seeing as there are so many of us I feel BoingBoing now actually owes us a real “automated gardening gnome”.

2. theophrastvs says:

that title desperately wants “cloud enabled” pounded into it as well

3. koko szanel says:

iPhone controlled!

• Ito Kagehisa says:

Kickstarter seems the perfect place to fund development of an Arduino-based, browser-controlled open source hardware automated garden gnome.

Especially an iPhone-controlled, cloud-enabled, turbocharged, tactical, fair trade Arduino-based, browser-controlled open source hardware automated garden gnome.

Millions, I tell you… you could make millions.

4. tylerkaraszewski says:

Most over-engineered tiny greenhouse ever. At no point do they mention anything useful, like, “does all this extra adware increase the yield over just putting the water on a timer in a regular tiny greenhouse?”

• chellberty says:

I’m can tell you that it is full of good intentions but fails miserably.They are probably well intending engineering students working around a problem that they have not done their research on. like this even more fail aquaponics system.

• Well, yea it’s a ridiculous way to cultivate those 30 sq. ft. but the style of construction is very scalable, and if you imagine someone trying to manage 50 of these domes all the data collectors seem more useful. Right? The point isn’t the dinky greenhouse in the video, it’s the abstraction of that greenhouse? (These are sincere question marks; I too am dubious)

• Hubris Sonic says:

if it motivates people to grow stuff its good!

5. Culturedropout says:

I read that as “Automated Gardening Gnome” and was like, “DUDE!  Cool!”  *sigh*

6. brerrabbit23 says:

Their stated goal is to provide fresh food to people who need it. I think that’s awesome.

Some of the most nutrition deficient diets in the US are those consumed by people without access to fresh food (people who live in tough neighborhoods in inner cities).

How do you develop and position this product to feed hungry, broke city folks, cheaply, without a broad spectrum of technical/agricultural understanding, and without a huge time investment?

• mica says:

more important is – defend it. Any resource that creates value in any tough urban environment is prone to theft or damage. And – if too big to steal, how to defend the product (food)?
      been working around this problem for the past 8 years. This is about yuppie back yards.

7. Steve Green says:

If this could work on an inner city apartment balcony and could provide a degree of self-sustainability without requiring constant monitoring then I can see a demand for it.

8. Tim in SF says:

1. Can I put one on the roof of my San Francisco Edwardian without fucking up the roof? I have to use a ladder to get up there – it’s a big pain in the ass so if I could control everything remotely, that would be cool.

2. How does pot grow in this thing?

3. There were assertions made about “mega industrialized food production systems” that are “more of a harm than a benefit to our health,” — that needs a citation.

9. Don says:

I like the idea of soil moisture sensors to control the watering.  I would have gone with something other than overhead misting.  Drip irrigation would be less likely to promote fungal diseases in the wet foliage, especially in an windless enclosed space.

It’s not clear what the greenhouse brings to the party.  Sure, you’d be able to start plants a little earlier, but for most of the growing season it’s just in the way or getting torn up by wind.

I’d have liked to hear more about the worm thing.

10. mica says:

Wouldn’t the enclosure tends to create more problems than it’s worth – especially on small scale (ie – fungal diseases?) It seems to create the need for all the automation in the first place. So – create problem to create solution methodology is kind of interesting from a ‘need to make something’ perspective. What has worked well for me – go to hardware store. Buy watering timer and drip irrigation nozzels. Fertilize by hand every two weeks. Grow anywhere, cheaply. (ok, buy pots the first year for the balcony gardener)

11. OMG. Longest, most unintelligible BB.net title ever.