Thermos-Nissan 61-oz Insulated Bottle

18 Responses to “Thermos-Nissan 61-oz Insulated Bottle”

1. soulbarn says:

I’m a huge fan of Thermos-Nissan products, too. Relatively cheap, well-thought-out, bulletproof. For cold beverages in lesser quantities (the 61 ounce is too big to carry on a jog) I like their 18-ounce container; bonus points for the built-in-straw…

2. Why can’t I get this (easily) in the UK? This is the type of product I don’t need, but want to buy and *then* find a use for.

3. Uncle Geo says:

I hunted for months for a good coffee mug that kept coffee hot. I can’t agree with you on the Contigo; it may even be potentially dangerous. The open and close sipper mechanism cannot be removed for cleaning. Crud hides in inaccessible places. If you use cream or add cinnamon or hot chocolate it accumulates into a rubbery mass that you can eventually coax out of some places with a bent paper clip but I can just imagine what microbial life is evolving in places I can’t get to.

Thermos makes some other smaller units than the one above that are easy to take apart and clean and they are vacuum bottles (all metal) so stuff stays hot or cold for hours.

4. ryuthrowsstuff says:

I’m going to call BS on that glass thermos being too fragile for every day use. My father has one, its been beat to hell for 30 years and still works fine. Its been dropped, run over, had run ins with clam rakes and hammers.  Its dinged up but still works better than any thing else I’ve come across.

• Shane Simmons says:

Ooh, I actually managed to ruin a Thermos (not one of these, but a Thermos nonetheless) by pouring hot coffee into a Thermos that had been in a cold car.

I’m with you, though.  On that thing, I dropped it, accidentally punted it, all sorts of physical things, no problem.  Trying to heat the glass rapidly is a really, really bad idea. :-)

5. Doug Nelson says:

How does day-old-yet-still-hot thermos coffee taste?

6. Sten Turpin says:

doesn’t the metal interior make your coffee taste like battery acid?

7. Tom Leo says:

Metal interior has no affect on taste.

This thermos absolutely do not stay hot days at a time. I make coffee in the morning and it is still steaming at lunch time. However at about 2:30 the coffee is luke-warm. All in all it’s a pretty good
    thermos .

8. devophill says:

This was also Dr. Crusher’s medkit from Star Trek The next Generation.

edit: I guess it was actually used as a thermos; she served Picard some soup once. I never saw this, she certainly seemed to carry it in a lot of non-soup situations.

9. Preston Sturges says:

……….so when the boss gets back to the adult book store, he asks the clerk how things went, and the clerk says “Well I sold your thermos!”

10. cinerik says:

For a travel mug I swear by the Thermos 360 tumblers.  The mechanism comes off completely and can be totally cleaned.  There is no drinking ‘spout’ so you don’t risk pouring down the side of your face when driving.  They keep drinks hot for hours.  I had the original which had no sealing mechanism (though it still kept coffee hot for 2+ hours), and have since upgraded to this one:

• Preston Sturges says:

I’ve ever only had one metal mug that worked well. But the Aladdin plastic mugs are better than most metal types.  They are sold with various company logos, at REI, and at most yard sales for a quarter.

11. In regards to the fragility of the glass Thermos, the biggest problem was actually a faulty gasket which allowed condensation to build up on the inside. Once wet, the metal tube started to rust and so the bottom started thinning. Other than that, I have no doubt that it would have continued to work.

And I forgot to mention that I preheat the thermos in the morning by pouring a bit of boiling water in, sealing it for a few minutes, pouring it out and replacing it with hot coffee. As far as the taste of day-old coffee, I was actually really impressed. While it clearly wasn’t fresh-brewed, it didn’t have ANY of the nastiness associated with old stale coffee. I’m guessing it had to do with the fact that it was sealed, keeping out any oxygen that could lead to oxidation.

• Shane Simmons says:

That’s true of any thermos, really, if you want to keep something hot.  When I was working full-time and having a thermos full wasn’t noticeably adversely affecting my health, I’d get tapwater up to the warmest it would go, fill the thermos, and cap it while I made my coffee.  Then, I’d dump my water out and fill the thermos.  At the end of an 8-hour shift, provided I hadn’t slugged the thing down by lunch ;-) I’d still have hot coffee.

12. noah django says:

it’s nice to see Cool Tools back again.  I didn’t realize until now that they are re-posts from the Cool Tools site, but no matter.  It is a good inclusion for BB and didn’t get why it disappeared for a while.

13. George Jones says:

I have one of the old type Thermos stainless it has been dropped and the lid is now broken and on it`s last legs of glue repairs left full of hot water it still can make a passable cup the next day. I have wasted my money on 4 replacements none of which have interchangeable lids and the water goes tepid after a couple of hours apparently the granular isolation has been cut back on these days I would not buy another. The glass ones have become rare to buy but I found one yesterday new. That`s right I was ready to buy second hand. I thought the girl who sued McDonald’s when she spilled coffee in her lap may have been the cause of the cease in manufacture of the glass ones and the decline in quality of the stainless.

14. Uncle Geo says:

Another use for these well insulated mugs is for martinis. If you like them cold but not too watered down you can put the ice and gin in, shake it and drink. The ice barely melts over the 10 -15 min or so you’ll be drinking it.

15. Uncle Geo says:

This metal vacuum bottle (at least 5 hours hot) is the best I’ve found and can be fully disassembled for cleaning and comes either with a handle or not: