Commemorative Canadian quarters with glow-in-the-dark dino skeletons

36 Responses to “Commemorative Canadian quarters with glow-in-the-dark dino skeletons”

1. Christopher says:

I collect foreign coins, and particularly love Canadian coins (I started with them because they so often turned up in loose change). Normally I prefer to stick to coins that will actually circulate, even if I purchase them in uncirculated condition.

I’m assuming these, unlike Canada’s red poppy and pink ribbon quarters, will not actually circulate, but I still want one. Or more. Glow in the dark coins…that’s awesome.

• Dan Hibiki says:

Not for circulation. Good thing too, it would be a shame to wear them all off by putting them in circulation.

• Christopher says:

Good point. You might also have problems like the one caused by the 2004 Canadian quarter with a red poppy on it. One of those turned up in the Pentagon and apparently someone thought it was a listening device.

I can’t imagine what kind of panic glowing dinosaur coins would cause if they turned up in someone’s pocket change. The US would probably end up invading. Blame Canada!

2. therantguy says:

Of course the glow in the dark effect will fade with time…

3. RHK says:

Kinda sad the QE side won’t have a glow in the dark skull.

4. Preston Sturges says:

Paleontologists are still mystified by its three front legs and one back leg.

5. Douglas Ross says:

Queen Elizabeth II on the ‘heads’ side should have her skull glowing as well.

6. DevinC says:

Yeeeah, in your face U.S.!

Who da man of North America now?  We da man!  The polite, perennially refrigerated DINOSAUR-LOVIN man!

In your face!

(Because you should look at these things very closely, because they are awesome.)

• morgane says:

hum.

right now, i would exchange our Prime Minister for their President in an heartbeat. So hold on the victory party festivities. We have an anti-science, anti-environment PM to deal with for 3 more years. That makes me damn scared.

7. David Gaffney says:

Our new 50 dollar bill smells faintly of Maple Syrup as well. No joke.

8. penguinchris says:

I was excited to learn of these a few days ago and was planning on trying to find some since I live on the border and have friends in Toronto. Then I found out that you’ll only be able to get them at post offices and they’ll cost $30 each

I wouldn’t mind paying a small premium, but that’s a bit much. It’s a shame because that price means few people besides serious coin collectors will buy these. I hope at least that a few are bought as gifts for kids.

• Preston Sturges says:

Except Canada doesn’t have “post offices,” so you have to go to the postage counter at the Rexall pharmacy.

• bytefyre says:

We do have post offices, there’s one in my hometown it could be just that its pretty small (only 25k) I’ve never actually seen a Post Office in the city. that’s where they keep the “Post Office” boxes :P

• BombBlastLightingWaltz says:

that would be a postal outlet.

Canada Post does have operating Post Offices in large urban centres, but rural areas may not.

9. urpBurp says:

This is not a “Want”… it’s a “Need, Need, Need”…

10. technogeekagain says:

Hm. I may have to swing by the post awful next time I go North. That is definitely cute.

11. Itsumishi says:

I hope they’ll still kicking around come September when I’m in that half of the world. These are radio.

12. kringlebertfistyebuns says:

These are available on the Royal Canadian Mint’s website:

I purchased two – shipped to the US, the total was $72.89.

13. Martijn Vos says:

How come the Canadian Mint is so awesome?

• Warren Grant says:

Have you seen our new bills? They are very cool IMHO. Polymer, with a clear patch that has holograms inside it, plus braille like 3d areas. The $100 and $50 bills are out, but not any of the others just yet. They are going to be very hard to counterfeit and the bills should be a lot more durable than the old cloth/paper ones. Here’s some video:

14. Listener43 says:

I’m pretty sure there’s a missing meta-tarsal in the left rear foot.
    It’s hard to be absolutely certain because of the pixels.

15. a_w_young says:

The Harper Conservative  government decided to retire the penny so they could make glow-in-the-dark quarters featuring images of their caucus on them.

16. Here is the actual description of the pieces at the Canadian Mint. http://www.mint.ca/store/coin/dinosaur-25cent-coloured-glowinthedark-coin-2012-prod1290004