Shuttle Enterprise arriving at JFK (big photos)

20 Responses to “Shuttle Enterprise arriving at JFK (big photos)”

1. Sagodjur says:

Anyone else disappointed that  the space shuttle Enterprise arrived in NYC instead of the Starship Enterprise?

• Timothy Krause says:

Those cats beam down all the time, man. All the time.

• t3kna2007 says:

I’m disappointed the name Enterprise was wasted on a test article rather than used on an operational shuttle.  Given that the naming was the result of a write-in campaign, I’m probably not the only one.

Can you imagine? “Houston, Enterprise here …”  “Station, Enterprise arriving.”  Imagine being the astronaut who actually gets to say that.

Excuse me while I go change my nerd-shorts.

• Halloween_Jack says:

I’d be more disappointed if they couldn’t get the Prime Directive right just one fucking time.

2. Rich Keller says:

I see this and I can’t stop hearing an imaginary David Attenborough narration about how the male circumnavigates the world several times as part of an elaborate courtship display.

3. Noah Hicks says:

Houston we have a problem, your shuttle is in New York…

4. sincarne says:

The Verge has some amazing shots of the fly-by: http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/27/2980852/nasas-space-shuttle-enterprise-new-york-fly-pictures

• Surely I’m not the only one who is disappointed with the photos on that link and also on this BoingBoing article? The shuttle arriving at JFK photos are nothing special.

Given that this is “America’s greatest spacecraft flying over the world’s most magnificent city” the photos so far are pretty lacklustre.

Awaiting decent shots from Boston Big Picture and The Atlantic.

5. Webbie says:

“Everybody remember where we parked.”

6. Donald Petersen says:

Has no-one ever deadheaded inside the orbiter’s cockpit during one of these?  Imagine the tourist revenues!

7. jeligula says:

This just in: the space shuttle moved three feet since the last story about the space shuttle moving.

8. David Waugh says:

That must have got the attention of passengers in those other planes! “Did I just see..? Nah, couldn’t have been…”

9. Joseph Finn says:

Otherwise known as the Space Shuttle that should be being prepared to be installed at the Adler Planetarium right now.

10. Kevin Baker says:

It still amazes me that you can strap something the size of the shuttle onto the back of a more-or-less stock airplane and it’ll still fly.

11. Mommy? What are those planes doing?

Well…uh…the little plane is sick and the big one is taking it to the hospital.

12. Jon Heibeck says:

I keep seeing pics of the shuttles piggybacked but never see anything about HOW they get it there.

13. quitterjunior says:

Tyrion and Shae?  Anyone?

14. HJB says:

For a fantastic video of the Enterprise Space Shuttle flying piggy back over New York Harbor, see: