Reddit's TestPAC is campaigning to defeat Lamar Smith, SOPA's daddy

17 Responses to “Reddit's TestPAC is campaigning to defeat Lamar Smith, SOPA's daddy”

1. EH says:

I wish I had $1000 to give you.

2. Crazdmadman says:

I hope they arent just some partisan  shills, that they also go after the democrats that supported it…

But I doubt it.

• pocoTOTO says:

I’d rather someone go after the author of the bill, given the limits of time and resources and the way bills are debated in Congress.

• Boris Bartlog says:

Well, they’re taking him on in the primary, not the general election, so if you’re specifically worried that they’re Democrat partisans you’re barking up the wrong tree. I do find it curious that the article here doesn’t even mention the guy running *against* Lamar Smith: Sheriff Mack. Certainly anti-SOPA as all get out (and I think you can count on him to vote against CISPA as well, or any similar nonsense), and I find his states’ rights right-libertarianism appealing… but not everyone will.

3. imag says:

$50 chipped in.  Unfortunately, we have to pay for our freedom to be upheld.

4. PJDK says:

Could BoingBoing, being a person, not donate?

5. Pope Ratzo says:

Canadians can’t donate, but Canadian corporations don’t have any such problem.

And I’ll bet Conrad Black managed to donate a boatload, too, but maybe not to the right people.

6. Guest says:

“And can you imagine fifty people a day? I said FIFTY people a day . . .
    walkin’ in, singin’ a bar of “Alice’s Restaurant” and walkin’ out? Friends, they may think it’s a MOVEMENT”

7. anharmyenone says:

$30 donated.

8. David Smith says:

Thank you for posting this, Cory.   I hadn’t read of it anywhere else.  Just donated…  Maybe I’m naive, but I hope this PAC has an impact way beyond the immediate Lamar race.  Ideally this will send a message to makes politicians stop and think, “You know, those little people we’ve been ignoring, they can actually organize and cause us some grief.”

9. hughstimson says:

These guys have the right tactical ideas, now they just need to get some volunteer and funding traction.

I’m also too Canadian to donate, but I hope they start picking up supporters in a big way this week, and have resources in place to make a difference 2 weeks from now.

10. Kimmo says:

I wholeheartedly endorse this effort to kick some corrupt scumbag arse.

Wishing TestPAC the very best of luck.

11. Bass says:

Would TestPAC be allowed to form before the Citizen’s United decision?

12. Teller says:

Love Reddit. Today it’s calling for a boycott of Papa John pizza because owner supports Romney. Awesome.