Seattle library hides 1,000 books around town for young people to find

17 Responses to “Seattle library hides 1,000 books around town for young people to find”

1. Paul Woodford says:

I blog about banned & challenged books.  I have also done a little geocaching.  I’m having a chocolate truck/peanut butter truck collision moment here!

2. They did the same thing in my town, except they hid all the books in one building.

3. John McCracken says:

They should hide the books in the library. Good luck finding which books are the hidden ones.

4. oasisob1 says:

This would never work in Boston, you know.

•  I’d have to agree with you there. Sooner or later some hysteric is going to report one of the books as a ‘suspicious package’. Cue bomb squads, mass sackings, Fox News waging its own War on Libraries, etc. etc.

5. Timmy Corkery says:

This doesn’t surprise me in the least because the SPL totally rules. I reserve my books from home and check them out via RFID and (frickin’) laser beams. It’s like living in the future and/or magic, depending on your grasp of the tech involved. I feel completely comfortable making the blanket generalization that all folks at the Seattle Public Library system are awesome, fun, really smart and creative.

6. Robert says:

“Young people are encouraged to scour the city’s landmarks for 1,000 books hidden throughout town, and then to re-hide them for other kids to find.”

Wait. So when do they get read?

7. vytautasmalesh says:

I would like to gay marry the entire city of Seattle plz!

8. Amelia_G says:

je suis interested in how they are protecting the books from rainwater? could be very cool & useful

9. Dan Quixote says:

This is an awesome idea. I’m going to see if my library can do something like it.

10. David Wright says:

Every Night is World Book Night at the Library!!! This year the project is being done in conjunction w/ BookCrossing, which is basically this whole idea all year round, everywhere (and they have plastic bags for rainy climes).

11. Cowicide says:

Stuff like this just really makes me smile.

12. hartpandrew says:

Dig this.

13. Culturedropout says:

It’s all fun and games until the bomb squad detonates The Berenstain Bears.  Well, actually, that might be kind of fun too… XD

14. Cynic here, find said books, sell on ebay. Make quad-drillions.

15. Ben Chatterton says: