Sally Ride, first American woman in space, has died

21 Responses to “Sally Ride, first American woman in space, has died”

1. So unbelievably sad. She was far too young to leave us.

2. Just to be clear, she was a hero to many young boys, too. She will be missed.

3. h0n0rb says:

A real heavy punch of sadness – she was such a positive force and what I saw of TOY challenge was transformative. Thanks for reporting this so nicely Xeni.

4. RadioSilence says:

Ride, Sally Ride

RIP

5. robdobbs says:

And she leaves behind Tam O’Shaughnessy, whom she’s known from age 12. My thoughts are with her.

6. mccrum says:

That is a dirty shame, she was a total badass and I certainly will miss living in a world where she walked the streets.

7. creesto says:

All astronauts are badass and Sally was no exception. Peace, Sally

8. yvgeny says:

“The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. And you have burned so very, very brightly.” We’ve all benefited so much from Sally Ride’s incredible life.

9. chgoliz says:

What a loss.

10. Susan Carley Oliver says:

I’m just stunned. She’s contributed to science, to the space program, and the women’s movement, all so momentously.  Thank you Sally Ride!

11. Teirhan says:

When I was in middle school I was a member of the inaugural class of Space Academy California, the space camp-alike for middle-schoolers rather than elementary-schoolers.  My friend and I were part of the opening ceremonies at the Space Camp California campus in Mountain View.  I met Sally Ride there, shook her hand, and recieved a book signed by her.  I don’t believe I spoke more than two words to her (“thank you,” I hope), but that moment has affected me all my life.  She was one of my heroes, and realizing that she was a Real Person, not just the heroic figure I read about in my Secrets of the Universe cards, changed my perspective on the world and the space program forever; for the better, I think.

Rest in peace, Sally, you did great things for all of us.

12. I’ll never stop hoping to one day go to space. It’s a damn shame her widow won’t receive her pension.

13. Palomino says:

I don’t remember if it was a commercial or where I heard this twist on lyrics,  but I still hum it  the Sally way to this day:

Ride, Sally Ride on your mystery ship,
    Be amazed at the friends you’ve got there on your trip.
    Ride, Sally Ride on your mystery ship,
    Be aware of the things others just might have missed.

R.I.P

14. edfou5 says:

I fully recognize what an inspiration Dr. Ride was to women in this country, and I celebrate that. But know that quite a number of us grown men have shed a lot of tears tonight.

My sadness was alleviated for a second, I’ll admit, by the way some of you have referred to Dr. Ride.

Sally was, indeed, a TOTAL badass.

15. Jonathan Badger says:

Also, Sally was a fan of Infocom’s adventure games such as Zork (back in the day, excerpts from her letter to the Infocom implementors used to be on the back of Infocom packages). You have to admit an adventure-playing astronaut is pretty cool.

16. Tarliman says:

DIane Duane, on her blog, has reposted a suggestion that a Kickstarter campaign be launched to provide Dr. Ride’s partner with the funds that our government should be paying as survivor benefits, along with a campaign to shame our government for denying survivor benefits to the spouse of an astronaut, a hero, and a pioneer. Dr. Ride contributed massively to our nation and to the world. Her passing should not have been marred by discrimination.

17. stovedoor says:

“Sally is survived by …her sister, Bear”
    Her sister’s name is Bear Ride. That’s easily one of the best names I’ve ever heard.