HOWTO bake a cake inside the skin of an orange

23 Responses to “HOWTO bake a cake inside the skin of an orange”

1. Frank Rose says:

Did this last weekend in fact. It works wonderfully and the cake is deliciously orange-infused. We used the pulp and juice as a glaze for steaks after reducing it for awhile.

2. Richard Lack says:

Don’t forget jello shots served inside an orange!

3. Blake Campbell says:

just look at it…oh wait, wrong fruit.

4. flappy says:

thank goodness! I thought this was gonna be another article about monks in Hell.

5. TheOtherBen says:

I did this once in summer camp, about 20 years ago.  You get a nice flavor from the orange (and probably the smoke) but the crumb-to-crust ratio obviously changes.

6. hadlockk says:

Waiting for the stuffed poblano pepper cake post.

7. Christopher says:

I also did this on a camping trip about twenty-five years ago (the same camping trip where, among other things, I got my troop lost on a hike, set a field on fire, and cooked a chicken on a spit).

The part that I missed was keeping the top of the orange and using it as sort of a lid. The lower part of the cake was delicious. The upper part of the cake tasted like smoke and ashes.

8. awjt says:

Don’t forget to jam a hunk of dark chocolate down inside the batter before you bake it!

9. gsilas says:

Why not do this in an oven?  Why coals?
    Is this supposed to be “steampunk” cooking?

10. Danielle Pershouse says:

I did this at camp when I was a kid.  We used white cake batter and it was delicious.

11. I tried that ages ago when I was in Girl Scouts, it wasn’t that successful. I ended up with a burnt, orange infused chocolate pudding. After that culinary mishap my troop stuck to making s’mores.

12. Miss Angela says:

Tips from someone who’s actually done in a campfire recently: 3/4 full is way too much batter if you don’t want it to ooze out the sides. Try 1/2 full. Also, you can use the juice from the fruit in the batter itself for more orangey-chocolate deliciousness.

One box of cake mix makes a dozen or so oranges, so beware of that if you’re camping solo.

• penguinchris says:

I don’t see the issue here…?

13. Heather C says:

When I was in Girl Scouts, we made a cake type thing on the fire, but we used cleaned out cans, (like the ones used for canned beans or chili.) we filled the cans about half way with pie filling and then added a few tablespoons of dry cake mix on top. It’s pretty delicious if you have been eating camp food for a week or two.

14. This reminds me of one of my very favorite recipes of yore, from the 1967 edition of Fieldbook for Boys and Men, wherein the same technique, using either an orange skin or a hollowed-out onion hemisphere (I’d opt for the onion!), is applied to the cooking of an egg.  “Poached Eggs à la Boy Scouts” is how I always think of it.