Man in rural China loses arms in industrial accident, makes his own prostheses

21 Responses to “Man in rural China loses arms in industrial accident, makes his own prostheses”

1. show me says:

So he was dynamiting fish and blew his arms off? Wow. Chinese rednecks!

• s2redux says:

Seems odd for a quarter-stick to blow off both arms. More likely (based on my massive 5 months experience of Gulf fishing ;-) is a fire in the bilge; our intrepid fisherman tried to put it out; got his arms covered in burning fuel; amputation required due to “blood poisoning.”

Our rule of thumb was to ventilate and then pump the bilge, before even daring to look at the engine.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Or a fan of Monarch of the Glen.

2. Slowermo says:

First opportunity to not feel good about myself today: laughing at the phrase “fishing related explosion”.

3. Not to mention he’s half fucking IRON MAN now.  Awesome guy.

4. Wow, that photo is confusing.  Which body part did he lose?  ;0) Looks like he made his own homemade penis pump too.

5. Snig says:

How? With his prehensile toes? I mean, I can’t imagine building extra hands with my working hands, how was he able to finagle it without hands?

6. mobobo says:

kudos to him.

7. dagfooyo says:

This headline should read “Man makes prosthetic arms with own hands”

8. Preston Sturges says:

“Groovy”

9. RJ says:

The man lost his hands, not his arms. I hate it when the media compulsively exaggerates. It’s like listening to a kid who compulsively tells wild lies about himself because he wants you to think he’s cool.

Having arms, he could tape or strap tools to the limbs to manipulate steel. I would imagine he had friends help out with the really intricate stuff, like anchoring the wires inside or doing the light welding I see around the wrists. Things like that would be very hard to do with his compromised dexterity.

10. oasisob1 says:

He can ‘love normally’ with his prosthetic hands.