Adobe releases its first free/open type family

10 Responses to “Adobe releases its first free/open type family”

1. jeligula says:

Looks a lot like Myriad.

2. pfooti says:

They added a little tail to the lower-case ell, to help people differentiate between that and the upper-case eye and numeral one. However, the ell glyph seems to drop a little below the baseline now. Weird, take a look at the illinois graphic in the linked page.

3. Boundegar says:

Comic Sans is already free.  Why fix what ain’t broke?

4. kartwaffles says:

A variable-width font named “source”? Oh come on, Adobe…

5. mobobo says:

just been having a look at the preview on google web fonts – sweet

6. echolocate chocolate says:

This is a very clever way of getting subtle Adobe branding everywhere.

7. Than Saffel says:

This font reminds me a lot of Stone Sans, which I used all the time back in the early 90s. I guess this face has good bones, but as it is I wouldn’t use it. Also, j ust one open source font from the world’s largest graphic software company is kind of underwhelming. I would rather to see them do something really beneficent and audacious: release the world’s 5 most basic typefaces (Minion, Franklin Gothic, Baskerville, Garamond, Helvetica Neue? or maybe Comic Sans, Gigi, Hobo, Peignot, and Papyrus. Hmmmm . . . ) as open source fonts.

8. SamSam says:

Can someone explain to me exactly what it means for common fonts – Garamond, Helvetica, Comic Sans, whatever — to be not free?

I assume they can’t tell you to take down a poster or an ad campaign written in Comic Sans. Does a book published in Garamond need to pay Adobe? Did the NYC subway system pay to use Helvetica on its signs?

Maybe you’ve already paid for the license if you create the work on the PC you bought. Do you have to pay to get Helvetica on your Unix box?

• McGreens says:

Any poster or ad campaign written in Comic Sans should be taken down, but for different reasons.

Typeface snobbery aside, I believe once you pay for a font you can use it on whatever you like (in print at least). In theory you have to have a licence for each machine it’s installed on I think.