24 Responses to “Non-bummer Hurricane Sandy instagram of the day: Guy sharing power strip with strangers”

1. Funk Daddy says:

He’s powerful and benevolent, I nominate him for God

2. Snig says:

More power to him.

3. That man is awesomesauce.

4. Paul Harrington says:

He’s a Good Cellmaritan

5. You won’t see the Rich Kids of Instagram doing this! I dub him “The decent bloke of Instagram.”

6. Ramone says:

Very cool, though he may also be self-sterlizing.

7. Trefunk says:

Power strips turn me on.

8. Tavie says:

New Yorkers are largely awesome.

9. Would have been cool if he’d had a boom-box blasting out Snap’s I’VE GOT THE POWER.  Battery operated, though, so as not to appear frivolous or defeat the purpose.

10. mrtut says:

With power comes responsibility.

11. Over the River says:

Whose power receptacle is his power strip plugged in to?

12. Sam Alder says:

Book Recommendation: A Paradise Built in Hell, Rebecca Solnit. The typical reaction when disaster strikes is to band together in solidarity.

13. BarBarSeven says:

Heard some reports on WNYC of a guy doing this outside of the Ace Hotel on 29th Street. He plugged into an exposed outlet on the street connected to the hotel.  He wins!

• Over the River says:

So if he walked in to a small grocery store, picked up (took without permission) a case or two of bottled water, and started handing them out; he wins?

• BradBell says:

Haha. You should get a job in PR for a technologically obsolete industry.

It’s more like turning on the water tap outside the Ace Hotel on 29th street and letting everyone fill their bottles. Again, costing next to nothing, delivering unparalleled value to the public.

• Over the River says:

The difference between what you propose and what I propose is use of someone else’s cost for your own (spare me the doing good for the public shit) benefit without permission. If he walked into the building, asked if it would be all right to help other folks keep in touch with their families, and with the permission of the organization who was paying for that electricity, hooked up the outlet strip as shown.

• BradBell says:

So it’s about permission? We agree a cost-benefit analysis is in order. The cost is minimal. The benefit in a disaster is huge. But despite this: we need to ask permission?

You’ve convinced me – they should be shot as looters for crimes against property.

• Over the River says:

I implied nothing about looting. It is, if nothing else, a common courtesy to ask permission before you use anything belonging to someone else. I want to make sure you know I think what he did was nice, but my issue is my perception he didn’t ask before using the outlet. The value of what is taken can’t be the issue because it is subjective. We are not talking about grabbing someone’s ladder to rescue a person from a burning building. All things considered here I feel he should have asked. Without going overboard, he should treat others as he should be treated, not how he thinks they want to be treated.

14. FoolishOwl says:

It’s good to see positive action taken towards a more equitable distribution of power.

15. BradBell says:

Over the River – how can I argue with that? :-)

• Over the River says:

Bless your Heart @bradbell:disqus . The worse part of my comment is I have no idea if he did ask. It seems I am quick to tell others to assume the best, but I am guilty of assuming he just waltzed up there to steal power. I will spend the rest of my day restoring my faith in humanity, and watch some of your films to keep myself in perspective. And I will make a donation to the Red Cross or other relief organization to help New Yorkers get back on their feet. I breaks my heart to see all the homes that were destroyed by fire on Breezy Point. So much lost, so many memories gone up in smoke. Here in Northern Virginia we had a lot of rain and wind but were spared huge losses. Looking at film of the southern New Jersey coast and the flooding in New York there will be a lot of work required.

All the best to you.

16. claire Piper says:

My daughter (who was stranded in Manhattan on a business trip) finally was able to get in touch with me due to the kindness of this very same man.