Open thread: your DIY Hallowe'en costumes?

Each year here at Boing Boing, we invite you, dear readers, to share your plans for fun home-made costumes. So what's it gonna be? Frankenstorm Sandy? A Mars Rover? Honey Boo Boo? Do tell, in the comments.

By Xeni Jardin at 1:10 pm Tue, Oct 30, 2012

Each year here at Boing Boing, we invite you, dear readers, to share your plans for fun home-made costumes. So what's it gonna be for you (and/or your children) in 2012? Frankenstorm Sandy? A Mars Rover? Honey Boo Boo? Do tell, in the comments.

[UPDATE: You guys, sorry, but Disqus is not behaving well today with image uploads. If you leave a comment with a photo of your costume here, and the image doesn't show, consider sharing it via a third-party image hosting site link?]

Photo: "Day of the Dead," shared in the BB Flickr pool by Chris Wilson. Make-up by Gretchen Wilson. Hair by Chaunah Macewicz.

Published 1:10 pm Tue, Oct 30, 2012

About the Author

284 Responses to “Open thread: your DIY Hallowe'en costumes?”

1. Kim Werker says:

My 22-month-old is seriously into finding Waldo, so Halloween was easy this year. I knitted him a hat and painted stripes on a t-shirt. Add in some novelty glasses, and, well, can you find him?

2. Sarah Jones says:

I went as a narwhal!

3. I recreated the Pan Am flight attendant costume from “2001: A Space Odyssey.”

4. Zander says:

Mermaid costume made for our 3 year old by laser cutting fabric scales…

5. Casey says:

Continuing my childish tradition of dirty words and puns, I was a Camel Toe (Tow). Previous years, I’ve been a golden shower, a chocolate starfish, and a teabag (which you can easily make by folding a white sheet or with white fabric).

6. Tippi Hedren from “The Birds”.  Here’s the dress, putting the birds on tonight.

7. harrisonicus says:

Walter White and Jesse Pinkman:

8. Mail order bride: dress sewn out of FedEx envelopes with a delivery slip bouquet and “sorry we missed you” slips to hand out.

9. BrotherPower says:

Here’s a work-in-progress shot of the Animal costume I’m making for my 8-year-old. I just finished the oversized drumsticks and the spiky wristbands today.

• BrotherPower says:

…and here’s my other son’s Golden Age Cap (store-bought jumpsuit, modded Quidditch goggles and helmet liner, custom shield) and my scratch-built SAMCRO cut.

(I’m lucky Halloween comes but once a year or I’d never get anything done!)

• Bevatron Repairman says:

This brought tears to my eyes!  My Mom made me an awesome animal costume when I was about nine!  The head is terrific!

• BrotherPower says:

That is fantastic. Thank you for sharing. :) I think it’s the fond memories I have of both of my grandmothers working so hard to make my childhood costume visions come true that keeps me saying Yes to every crazy scheme my own kids can come up with.

10. Scott Bell says:

Jesse from Breaking Bad. I made the blue meth sugar candy from recipes floating around on the web.

11. Amy Williamson says:

My friends and I made costumes from Avatar, the last Airbender: the cabbage vendor, The Boulder, fire-nation Katara, and grown-up toph. They came out great!

12. nanner says:

I went to a party over the weekend as a plastic wrapped Dexter victim :D It was a big hit! I won the Scariest Costume award LOL

Here’s a photo I took looking down at my costume, in the car on the way to the party. It kind of looked like a grim party dress. It was also ridiculously CHEAP

i am building a Steve from Minecraft costume for my 11 year old son. Also Cheap but a PITA to make :

13. richmonahan says:

Went out as a Che Guevara T-shirt on Saturday.  It came together pretty well, it’s weird.

14. Gina Menduni says:

A very Pop halloween this year. I did a Roy Lichtenstein.

15. Cpieper says:

This year I am going as Seymour from ‘Little Shop of Horrors’ and yes indeed I made Audrey II as well!

16. Christopher says:

In the past I’ve spent the entire day at work as a werewolf, Uncle Fester, Rorschach from The Watchmen, a gargoyle, an Andorian, Detective Columbo, Harpo Marx, Seymour Krelboin and a homemade Audrey Jr., and Mad-Eye Moody.

This year I’m skipping Halloween. It’s probably just as well. Nothing I’ve done matches up to the rest of y’all.

17. The Pathetic Earthling says:

My son is going as a HazMat guy.

18. nabine says:

I’m going to be a Pantone chip–3135, to be exact. Since I’m a graphic designer I think this is going to be a big hit at the office :P

19. The Pathetic Earthling says:

My son is going as a Haz Mat guy.  Or maybe the Lego Haz Mat guy.  It’s sort of ambiguious.

20. Christine Cobos says:

I made my daughter a Weeping Angel and my son a Dalek

21. langohr says:

I made this mask earlier in the year and used it for a zombie walk in Montreal recently. It is partially based on my cat, but with an undead zombie twist.
    More photos here: http://www.ianlangohr.com/masks/jean-paul-of-the-dead-zombie-cat-2012/

Making of video here: http://youtu.be/AXtgtgsJa8Q

• ocker3 says:

I love the cat’s expression :)

• Sekino says:

Hey Ian! (Celeste the mini-mask-maker from the Faire here) Knowing first-hand how comfy your masks are, I bet it kept you nice and warm if Montreal’s Zombie Walk was as nippy as Ottawa’s. That cat’s just awesome!

• langohr says:

Celeste! The walk was mild, but the mask did make it slightly warmer. Glad to have met you and Jacob at the Faire. I have some pics up on Picasa: https://picasaweb.google.com/113576612736791660127/OttawaMinMakerFaire2012

There’s a lot of you two in there.

22. Xeni Jardin says:

You guys rule so hard.

• DevinC says:

I would Like every single picture post in this thread, but then I would run out of Likes, and then if BoingBoing did an article about Obama on a Unicron trampling Hurricane Sandy I’d be all out.

23. Mari Stephenson says:

My grandson decided to be a Minecraft “creeper:.  Here is what he, his dad and I created.

24. jfaehnle says:

Futurama Fry. Fry is one of my favorite all time characters from one of m favorite all time shows. Also, I’m a huge meme-nerd. I had several NOT SURE IFs to flip through throughout the night, including NOT SURE IF LEGITIMATE RAPE SHUTS THAT WHOLE THING DOWN OR NOT. Although I didn’t snap a photo of the one.

25. eyesfingerstoes says:

Me and about 30 of my cronies are hitting the Portsmouth (NH) Halloween Parade this year as the Gotham City Rockers – all hand made interpretations of Denis Medri’s Rockabilly Batman concept drawings. Link to the process I used to make my Leather Batman Cowl here:  http://imgur.com/a/vWxGU#7

26. Bevatron Repairman says:

My son as a HazMat guy.  Mostly my Mom’s excellent work, although the backpack (a repurposed large candy tin) blows dry ice steam triggered from a button on the hose.  The fan in his facemask is operational, too.

27. AdamUndefined says:

I have been growing out my beard for a while. I went as Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

28. miss_emelia says:

We’re working Haunted Fox Hollow (http://hauntedfoxhollow.com) again, so our darling new baby girl is joining us in the pirate cove during the “light scares” hour. So far, she’s done great. She’s more giggles than Y’arrr, but we cheerfully tell the guests that she’ll learn to swab the deck or she’ll end up in the pirate’s stew. When the little kids see that she isn’t the least bit scared, it helps them get their courage back.

29. mama_faelynn says:

My son is being Steve riding a pig (with a carrot on a stick) from minecraft. :)

30. My favourite family costume that I saw a couple of years ago was the Bee Family. All wore bee costumes, except for the larva in the stroller. Dad wore a toolbelt, Mum wore a tiara.

My own best was The Wicker Man, complete with hidden tape loop of Edward Woodward yelling, “Oh God! Oh Jesus Christ!”

31. Peter says:

I was thinking of just doing a single bitemark, on a not usually visible location, and then I can roll up my sleeve and say I’m a guy bitten by a zombie who’s obviously a goner but hasn’t quite turned yet.

But I might go even lazier and just use the old “a serial killer… they look just like everybody else”/”Mystique, shapechanged into me.”/”alien in disguise as a human being.”

32. Just in time for the election…. Spider Jerusalem takes on Seattle…
    Not many people have gotten it, but it has been worth it for the couple of people here and there who lose their shit when they see me. Thankful for a bald guy with tattoos costume, since im already there. Homemade glasses and bowel disruptor ftw.

33. agroman says:

This week was Shark Week here in Madison.

34. Zander says:

Porcupine made with a trench coat that I screwed in PVC caps to, and then made quills that attached to those from diagonoally cut and painted PVC pipe.  Its great at crowded parties.

Wind up wife and daughter.  Wind up keys made from PVC center pipe and ABS key cut on laser cutter.

35. Ian Walker says:

Fur on collar and wrists + Fangs + Waistcoat and tie + Chinese menu in my hand = Werewolf of London.

36. Loren Kling says:

My plan was to be a Robot Chicken puppet but I only got as far as creating the changeable “mouth” that they use on the show.

I’ve got a cardboard “backing” hanging off of eyeglass frames with three differently designed “mouths” held up with velcro. I would have preferred some kind of electronic display for the mouth (would have made it much cooler) but couldn’t imagine walking around with an iPad or cellphone strapped in front of my mouth.

I wanted to design some kind of wrist and elbow “coverings” to make it look like my joints were joined by a metal dowel or something but not sure how to make that look right.Oh, BTW, I’m an actual Robot Chicken puppet as well. Won the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to have an RC puppet head carved in my likeness.”I’ll” be appearing sometime this season. Check it out a pic of the carved head at facebook dot com [slash] LorenKlingOfficialPage.

37. My husband and I went as Mars and the Curiosity Rover. Had a ton of fun making these babies and the costumes were a huge hit everywhere we went!

38. My partner’s sugar skull tribute and a little ‘shop work to share the dog’s glowing eyes and her makeup. http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j384/GuyInMilwaukee/5ad44f87d30089334615442379d70d09.jpg

39. slippy0 says:

Mine really isn’t that fancy, but the stars aligned and gave me a week of time to work on props. I was Marshall Lee from adventure time, and decided to make his axe-bass instead of just painting a 2d cutout. The results aren’t amazing, but they’re more than I planned to do, and very DIY. I went with my friend who was Fionna. We got a lot of compliments :)

40. Sarah Perez says:

This year I have become Fish-Man! The idea was inspired by the fish-man character, Toby, in the show Ugly Americans.  I think the idea of a fish wearing pants is pretty hilarious, and luckily the costume turned out to be as funny as I hoped it would.  I’ve already worn it out on the bus and train home from work and it made quite a few smiles all
    around :)  The head is chicken wire, screen door mesh, paper mache, foam and fabric.  I also had to special order some very large pants which I velcroed to the fish head.  I’ll be walking in the 16th Annual Halloween on Halsted Parade this Wednesday in Chicago at 7pm CST.  Hope to see you Chicago readers there– Happy Halloween!

video of fish-man in action: http://youtu.be/sTJeUmcbjOk

41. giantasterisk says:

Lego! One regular, one Day of the Dead themed.

42. Beth Dean says:

I was a devil bordello lady from Beetlejuice!

43. Scott Taylor says:

My wife and dogs and I are going as the Pig and a Poke Griswolds!

44. Mick Magill says:

My wife and I in outfits I made.  Mars and Nemesis.  My helmet was a purchase, but the tunic, armour, Chiton, Kilt, etc made by me.

45. camnotthebutler says:

My first zipper face attempt, originally for my wife’s all hallows scream roller derby bout.

46. MarnieMacLean says:

Wilfred and Bear

47. MollyMaguire says:

At my son’s grade-school Halloween party, I was surprised to see a couple kids dressed as cathode tube style TVs which aren’t even made anymore, are they? and could barely be knowable to most of the young-uns these days, right?

A couple of the parents went as The Princess and Pee-Wee (ha ha!)

48. Jean Dunk says:

my 9 month old as a mermaid

49. lorenstrand says:

Before: slinking about as an alien swamp thing. After: Zita the Spacegirl conquers swamp thing.  (fixed cropped photo)

50. PXL says:

Mitt Zombie. Complete with upside-down flag pin on the lapel.

51. Tom B. says:

Here’s a blurry shot of my DIY Wreck-It Ralph costume – you can’t see my big cartoon feet slippers – http://i.imgur.com/oaVlE.jpg  My five-year-old daughter is wearing her own homemade costime – she wanted to be, and I quote, “a goth vampire.”

52. bienbiensuper says:

I made a “queen of carrot flowers” (the lady from the cover of the nmh album “in the aeroplane over the sea”) – kind of obscure, but i’ve always loved that image and thought it was sufficiently creepy for halloween, even if you weren’t familiar with the album cover (and it was!). and the people who did know the album cover LOVED it.

53. April Demetria says:

I’m dressing as my favorite style icon, Miss Piggy.

54. icepick method says:

This year i was a backalley aborted abortion doctor.
    :edit: Disqus is crapping out.

55. Last minute idea: centaur+tourist= centaurist. Centourist?

And as much as I wish I could claim internet fame, I was not running around shirtless in DC during Hurricane Sandy :)

56. Sekino says:

We’ve made masks again this year. My husband Jacob is a plague doctor: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GDVuhpFWyqk/UJCGlU2aFKI/AAAAAAAAAfA/9yhX18V1m3A/s1600/PlagueDoc2.png

I’m a spider (ironically, my least favourite animal but I loved working on the mask!): http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5N9GnpuxhKY/UJCIW6CBE0I/AAAAAAAAAgI/Ll1YYmPKrIo/s1600/Spider5.png

More pics and a bit of info on how they were made here: http://celesteagnes.blogspot.ca/2012/10/halloween-costumes.html

57. Michael Johnson says:

My 5 year old twins as ewoks complete with clubs and spears made from melted plastic bottles and their 7 year old brother as a jawa thanks to all the outstanding tutorials out there on the internet (my first time soldering – it worked!).  The ewoks needed someone to chase them, so I’m an ATST with functioning guns shooting marshmallows and gum balls inspired by this summer’s Make magazine.  A picture doesn’t really to it justice. Here’s some dark video, I’ll catch some video in daylight tonight: http://youtu.be/tMq0Yx0g3Qw

58. megpie says:

My Ursula costume that was a huge hit at the party I went to.

My favorite part is the tentacles. They’re a separate skirt from the dress under it to make it easier to get in my car. Also, while not very visible, there are clean suction cups glued to the underside of each tentacle.

59. Rob Bloom says:

My Walter Sobchak from the Big Lebowski, costume. Beard is mine with makeup added, it doesn’t grown in that shape.

60. Susan Bell says:

Our older son is going as (yet another) Dalek.

Cardboard, duct tape, and balloons FTW.

61. sumthinblue says:

We went as dead characters from Game of Thrones at a Halloween party earlier this month, with a DIY Iron Throne in tow.

62. planettom says:

I went as The Fly (1958 version):
    With teleport pod.

63. Corey McIntire says:

I went as the Genie from Aladdin.  I miss my hair!

64. jackrabbitslim says:

This is my six-year old as a Kyoshi Warrior. Avatar 4 life! I made everything but the boots. When I tell people that, they’re always surprised a 6’4″ guy with a handlebar mustache knows how to work a sewing machine.
    Maybe this link will work. Stupid Disqus.

65. chrisspurgeon says:

My daughter rolled her own Tardis dress!

[This image might be clipped. Check out the photo in my reply.]

66. S Kennedy says:

Ever see Karate Kid?  I spray-chromed some PVC that I bent using hot water.  I won 2nd place at the party last weekend!

67. Andrea Tetrault says:

We did Marie Antoinette and King Louis. Pre-beheading, of course.

68. chgoliz says:

My youngest with her best friend (since they were babies).  The friend’s hair has darkened now, but she was a tow-head blonde for the longest time, and our families have often affectionately referred to the girls as “Salt & Pepper”.  This year, they decided they wanted to make it literal.

The tops are chef’s toques with sprinkle holes cut out and then spray-painted silver; the bottoms are cloth, wire, and elastic.  (This picture was taken before the armholes were cut or the S & P sewed into place.)

Really, an easy costume to make.  Much easier than the Mai from Avatar: The Last Airbender costume I had to make one year!

Edit: Per Xeni’s request, here’s the imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/qYlqD.jpg

69. Christopher Ing says:

Went as a multicultural mummy (a.k.a. the birthday mummy)

70. rachel ten bruggencate says:

Lots of Day of the Dead this year.  Here’s my take on La Catrina (some smudging may have occurred on the dance floor…)

71. parfae says:

I was Little Edie Beale over the weekend, but if I wasn’t laid up with a sinus infection, I’d be scaring the kiddie (and Stormtroopers) tonight with this…

72. MikeKStar says:

A friend of mine dressed as a burned up Big Tex.

73. rqvillan says:

With a bit of a cardboard, duct tape, paint, a re-purposed skeleton costume, and about 18+ hours of spare time, I made a Visible Lego Man outfit, based on Jason Freeny’s sculpture : http://moistproduction.blogspot.ca/2012/06/18-lego-men-dissections.html

74. My son wanted to go as a Dalek this year, so we threw a costume together for him with all sorts of odds and ends.

75. Ken Watanabe says:

My wife made my son a Creeper costume. Had the fabric printed. It looks amazing. (Hes inside the costume but refused to use the arm holes cause “Creepers dont have arms!” )  She makes “Rocking” Custom Baby Blankets as well… http://www.etsy.com/shop/RattleRockers

76. Spencer Post says:

I’m a robot reporter, I only report the FAX

77. Aurora Fonseca-Lloyd says:

I’m a motherfuckin’ pterodactyl. At work

78. Laz Burke says:

Zombie baby! (She’s 37 weeks pregnant)

79. Sarah Bruce says:

My boyfriend went to our halloween party as the first man of the Night’s Watch to be killed by an Other in the opening chapter of Game of Thrones (Ser Waymar Royce for those who were interested).

80. Laz Burke says:

For some reason, the photo didn’t upload properly. Let’s try it again…

81. went as Krumm from Aaahh!!! Real Monsters for a studio party last week :)

82. hmm pic didn’t upload

83. Wendy Cusick says:

This year I made my son a WWII style airplane (with rivets) with a large cardboard box.

84. Billy Norman says:

Attacked by Zombie Romney!

85. Image didn’t upload right…

86. rosscott says:

Me and my girlfriend Tiffany dressed as “Yip Yip Yip” aliens from Sesame Street.

87. h knox says:

My son (3) designed “Dinosaur Fighter Truck”. I bulit it out of cardboard and dollar store stuff. There is a cage in the back with a bunch of dinos.

88. Laz Burke says:

Pics seem to be down.

Here’s a link to my Zombie baby breaking out of the womb.

89. David Caneso says:

World Series Champion. Homemade Commissioners trophy, bottle of Champagne, my giants swag.

90. Xeni Jardin says:

Guys, I’m so sorry that Disqus (our commenting platform) sucks such a huge bag of dicks, but maybe use imgur or something else if your pix fail to load?  We’re missing a lot of your wonderfulness, please forgive our reliance on a third-party service over which we have no control.

91. Erick says:

I made robot costumes for my 4yo and 6yo boys.  Built-in robot voice changer (cannibalized toy), a grid of LEDs with a couple of different behaviors (arduino), an accelerometer-based robot walking sound (also arduino), and a walking light.  Front and top of the torso are edged with el wire.

92. tomchaps says:

My 7-year old son learned to solder for this one–he’s going as Mars, with the Curiosity Rover as his head. We had to learn to code a Parallax Stamp (an Arduino-style microprocessor) and used an ultrasonic sensor atop a servo as the laser/camera. It scans back and forth, and when it detects something within a couple of feet, lights up a ton of LEDs off a relay. This thing almost failed in a number of ways, but finally worked last night…

My 4-year old daughter wanted to be a robot butterfly. You can’t tell in the photo, but her antennae LEDs change colors, and the side LEDs are black light, with the wings painted with UV paint that glows brilliantly in the dark.

And… it’s going to be raining steadily tonight. I fear it’s bad karma to sit in California after Sandy and complain of rain, but these are the least waterproof costumes ever made. Sigh.

• Erick says:

I feel your pain.  Cardboard box + arduino + 5 separate power systems.  I’m thinking about integrating an umbrella holder.

Your 7yo learning to solder for his halloween costume is awesome!  Looks like a really fun project.

93. Courtney V. Kovacs says:

My little brother and I made steampunk costumes! His was not modeled after anything in particular, but I was going for a “Girl Genius” look (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com). We didn’t have time to do as much detail as we wanted, but they came out pretty nicely! He has continued to modify his accessories so he can use the costume in the future, and in addition has acquired a bowler hat…we agreed a top hat would be better, but it still helps complete the look!

EDIT: Can’t get the image to upload, so here is an imgur link, per Xeni’s comment above! http://i.imgur.com/eeCIa.jpg

94. Me as Miss Frizzle

Dress has glow in the dark stars sowed on.  My purse is a bus with stuff lizard [Liz] inside.

95. I built my Promethea costume from chipboard, hot glue, fabric scraps, ribbon, paint and safety pins. To me, it’s not a costume unless you made it yourself as economically as possible.

96. knottykris says:

I was the Flying Spaghetti Monster! (I was kind of lazy on Saturday night, so I just put my hair up.) Work with what you got, right?

97. AbbyMars says:

My apple tree & cupcake.

98. George Washington with extra long ponytail

99. BarelyFitz says:

I beheaded my kids. I built the costumes on repurposed roller backpacks, so the kids can just slip them on and off.

100. Surprisingly creepy and disturbing photo taken while checking out my Halloween mask in the bathroom mirror. “Pig” is a plastic mask I made with my home-built vacuform machine, the same principle as this little YouTube demo, but using a form sculpted out of clay instead of foil: http://youtu.be/fucs_brr5Yo

101. jessyrandall says:

My son, age eleven, made this Minecraft Enderman costume: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessyrandall/8128791509/

102. techbuzz says:

Scratch-N-Sniff-Rick  — I enjoy interactive costumes. This year I upcycled part of a costume from ’09: A clear vinyl suit jacket covered in ’80s scratch-n-sniff stickers. Peppermint Collar, Bubblegum Chest, Chocolate Shoulder. I was scratched-n-sniffed all night. Unfortunately the clear pants ripped apart after Halloween ’09; revelers that year got to enjoy my Apple Bottom.

103. jelly1586 says:

My fiance and I went as Gotye and Kimbra from the “Somebody That I Used To Know” video.

104. Dan Lewis says:

My 8 year old son wanted to be a “Castle Crasher” this year. This is what we came up with.

105. Dan Lewis says:

Image here: https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/247709_10151133503592913_674812511_n.jpg

106. Cowicide says:

Me as a grey square picture that won’t upload properly.

107. I’m a forest creature. I made the ears and mask. Hot glue gun, I heart thee. Picture not loaded properly.

108. Me as the Mau5. Mouth and eyes light up. Total costume cost: $35.00. (Here’s hoping I see some ghosts n’stuff!)

109. oobe says:

I went as an out-of-body experience.  I was inspired by this line of research: http://www.nature.com/news/out-of-body-experience-master-of-illusion-1.9569

On my head is a box with a plastic two-way mirror in front.  The box and the mirror are both homemade.  I wear a suit for neutrality.  If you look at me while I’m wearing my costume, you see your head superimposed on my body.

110. My 9 year old daughter got her PhD in horribleness for the occasion (and the Wonderflonium case doubles as a treat bag. Science!) (Or, more accurately: a lap top box, duct tape, and an X-acto knife).

111. coop says:

My friends Randy and Natasha are a couple of kick-ass graphic designers in Nashville. They take the halowe’en costume thing seriously – very seriously.

Last year Randy and his daughter went out in a combo “Busker Monkey with Organ-Grinding Dad” costume (see image attached).

You can see the reveal for this year’s costume here: http://www.forwaverly.com/reveal/

You won’t be disappointed!

coop

112. moose13088 says:

Never Nude Tobias from Arrested Development

113. Daniel Co says:

My DIY costume is Russell from “UP”.  I created the badges using felt furniture pads and adhesive transparencies.  I made a custom badge with my work logo and distributed candy for my team in prescription bottles (i work in pharmacy benefits).

114. Tomhung says:

{deleted}

115. My boyfriend and I have dressed up as the couple from Juno. The baby and umbilical cord thrown in to try and make it a bit more spooky. Lots of people have informed me that they are offended.

116. Ocean inspired – this home-made fascinator has koosh ball anemones, sea shells and netting. Plus it lights up, unlike real anemones (that I know of). It was a lot of fun to make and still demands respect in the workplace. Maybe.

117. itstimetopaytheprice says:

I went as Darth Vader’s sexy counterpart (there was a helmet, but it was so damn hot and hard to see out of that I avoided wearing except in “action photos”). All the pieces were homemade with duct tape, cardboard, fabric, and hot glue. The base level has served me well as Selene from Underworld and Baroness from GI Joe. Recycled AND DIY!

118. mattvanhorn says:

My son wanted to be the Lich King from WoW. There was much spray paint and foam involved. Oh, and EL-wire, so he and his sword can glow at night.

119. Ms. Anne Thrope says:

My son’s Robot costume. Age 3–“Bobot please.”

120. Jim Helm says:

Viking!  I made everything except the helmet and the hammer.  The giant belly took years.

121. Kathryn says:

My granddaughters wanted to be monarch butterflies.

122. Pea Hix says:

despite her trepidation about it being potential “sacrilege,” my mom crafted an awesome “Ecce Mono” papier-mâché mask for me!

123. John Montoya says:

My halloween costume!

124. Livia Labate says:

Here’s your Friendly Neighborhood Global Warming!

125. Lindsay Parker says:

I went as my roller derby alter ego, the Bi-Polar Bear.

126. Josh Randall says:

Here comes your friendly neighborhood SPACE SHUTTLE!!!

127. kenlayne says:

My family went as The Avengers … Iron Man was taken by the youngest, so I go Doctor Strange.

128. Jacob Shattuck says:

T-rex piñata and militant piñata costumes

My fiance and I made these for a charity bike ride, we had an amazing amount of smiles and comments. I’m wearing mine now answering the door for trick-or-treaters and letting them take a whack at me for their treats. Here is a link to more photos. http://imgur.com/a/YnP8P

129. Mike Yob says:

My wife was so excited to try out her costume on Saturday, and then perfect it for Halloween.  Hurricane Sandy decided that once was enough, I suppose.  The face is two separate foam pieces.  We ate at a buffet!  Great looks!

130. Laura Green says:

Made my son a punk rock sheep – green yarn mohawk, sock ears with skull earring, checkered tie, and lots of cotton balls!

131. Meredith Warren says:

My friends had a 50s party but I really wanted to be the TARDIS so… I made a TARDIS poodle skirt, complete with a K-9 “poodle! I sewed the skirt from a pattern I found online and stitched on a hand-drawn, felt K-9 and door sign. I also made myself a blue crinoline out of SIXTEEN YARDS of tulle. (Never again.) I hand-painted the bodice too. On the back of the skirt, I scrawled “BAD WOLF”, just for added effect. (links in case the pics don’t work: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dithie/8143272567/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/dithie/8143303930/

132. oodja says:

My daughter wanted to be the Mad Hatter this year, so I made a Cheshire Cat costume out of an IKEA Rusig rocker and a whole lot of black duct tape.

133. Bloo says:

I had nothing to do with making this, but if you haven’t seen this at HuffPo yet it is worth a look:

134. celestialcereal says:

We are in NYC so the costumes are incomplete, but here is our Heisenberg and Blue Meth.

135. Pretty simple, but rather fun: Ghostbuster, with the added bonus that the photon pack can be used as a bag for holding your wallet and phone, plus halloween candy to hand out!

136. LJSeinfeld says:

Dr. John Zoidberg

137. Scott Seland says:

I’m a math teacher so I try to keep it nerdy with my Cow Pi costume, standing beside by Pumpkin Pi.

138. Peter Abrahamson says:

Gen. Jack Ripper from Dr Strangelove. Purity of Essence.

139. Leslie Stair says:

My daughter loves animals and wanted to be a white Bengal Tiger (they are from India of course) so we made it complete with a bindi and a sari. I made the tiger costume, paws and ears from synthetic felt and hand stitched it all (I’m a bit kooky that way). The sari and nose I found second hand.

140. tinytinydino says:

My hero Tina Belcher from Bob’s Burgers. Let’s just say I’ll be touching a lot of butts this evening.

141. Brian Karlak says:

My daughter made her own No Face costume (with some help from Mom):

142. Marc Hewitt says:

A good friend living in The Netherlands had one of the best costumes I have ever seen, a spot-on impression of Van Gogh:

143. Jon Breisnes says:

Our seven month old is trying to earn his geek cred… So he of course, had to go as the Doctor. Eleven, Fez included. Trousers & shirt off the rack. My lovely wife made the jacket, fez, bow tie & sonic screwdriver.

144. Matt Albright says:

Rainbow, seen tonight in Mountain View, CA.

145. Grunkle Stan from Gravity Falls, because I know you guys love it here. I didn’t sew the Jacket, obvz, but I made the tie and the hat and gussied up the face gear.

146. Will Coley says:

Here’s my DIY costume: “LA vs. NY” It’s a discussion I hear all the time in both cities. Images on collar: great tacos/great bagels, sunshine/four seasons, driving/walking, earthquakes/hurricanes, talking to strangers, palm trees, yellow taxis, etc.

147. My wife outfitted our 11-month-old son, Nico, as a tiny Michael Phelps. She carefully selected the 22 medals, matched to the proper corresponding Olympics color scheme (representing Athens, Beijing, and London). She made the cap, bought the micro bike shorts, and insured that our little boy had a truly memorable first Halloween. Plenty of suggestions for additional props came our way (goggles, Subway sandwich, contraband paraphernalia), but this was about as much as you could reasonably expect a proto-toddler to tolerate before autonomically inserting stuff into his mouth then hurling it onto the ground.

148. Jake Howe says:

Steampunk Doctor Who inspired ‘There’s Something on your back!’

149. Latzenpratz says:

The march hare

150. Paul Bryden says:

Here’s my “Tim the Enchanter” ver 1.0. Usually it takes me a few years to build up the costume.

151. Randy Slavey says:

No incinerators or emancipation grills for this little cube.

152. briancrowder says:

Ironed-on b/w Jor-El “S” and white golf pants to escort the truly Super one.

153. pahool says:

Swedish chef checking in:

154. Parker Mason says:

If you like the 80s and GI Joe, you’ll love Heather and I as Storm Shadow and The Baroness

155. laura wemple says:

During a recent spate of creative energy I made Barriss Offee and Anakin Skywalker (on his way over to the dark side) costumes for my daughter and son.

156. bombtea says:

My friends threw a Halloween party with prizes for the best costumes (singles and couples). The invitation told us to “be creative” so I got friendly with a bunch of cardboard and my glue gun and made myself into GRIMLOCK.

157. Clement Yeh says:

NES Control Pad. As one who was raised in the 80’s this was an exercise in nostalgia. Foam, fabric, duct tape, electrical tape, cardboard.

158. Rob Johnson says:

My son went as a sheared sheep from the video game Minecraft.

159. Beverly Hsu says:

BMO, Jake, and Finn from Adventure Time! We had a candlepin bowling adventure :)

160. RogueScholar says:

Whole family had a Minecraft Theme this year:

161. David Reynolds says:

Kiss Cam! I’ll probably go to a Halloween party on Saturday as well  : )

162. charming.quark says:

My son really, REALLY wanted to be an outlet this year.  Padded white pleather sandwich-board style tunic with a knitted earwarmer from the dollar bin basted on to make a knit neck hole.  The outlets are made from craft foam and covered in glow in the dark duct tape, and spraymounted on, supplemented with double stick tape.

163. My son and I went Steampunk this year.  He is Abraham Lincoln, Steampunk Vampire Hunter (not because of the book/movie – although that does make him more recognizable to his peers!)  I am his librarian/research assistant – the Giles to his Buffy, so to speak.  His flamethrower/holywater dispensing harness is made out of vintage fire exthinguishers,and my overskirt is made from my deconstructed, dyed wedding dress.
    More pictures here: http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/wasagooze/library/Halloween%202012

164. Madeline Whitman says:

My fellow and I went as two variations on creepy film characters: Sally (Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas) and Alex DeLarge (Kubrick’s Clockwork Orange). I found a cheap dress on ebay that I tailored and painted, traced some stitches onto tights with a sharpie, and went through almost three tubes of white makeup for the corpsey effect. The Fellow threw his together pretty well, too (I think)

165. plebianJay says:

My son loves Portal 2  (and everthing Aperture) and wanted to be Atlas, the co-op bot. This is the costume I made for him. It’s mostly made from rigid and soft foam.

166. Ryan Harbert says:

I outfit a trench coat and top hat with some sound reactive EL wire.

Video of it flashing to the beat of the music:

~Harpo

167. HUMUNGOUS says:

What you can’t see here are the glowing red eyes.

168. Muse says:

Now that Disney purchased Lucasfilm, I went as their new mascot: Darth Mouse

169. penguinchris says:

I was Mr. Rogers; I chose this because I could construct the outfit from clothes that I already had in my closet.

I look forward to living someplace where people actually trick-or-treat (we had one show up this year) and/or having a good party to go to, so that I can justify doing something more elaborate (not to mention that I look forward to having a job so I can afford to build something cool for a costume).

170. Jessica Paris says:

This is my pop art costume, approved by Niagara herself ;)

171. Я. Fish says:

My own design. Also wear for my band, Noisician Coalition.

172. La W says:

me and my hubby .. and then my two boys.  all DIY by me!

173. La W says: