28 Responses to “Kickstarter to revive Glorantha, old RPG that was eclipsed by D&D”

1. Alan Olsen says:

I met my wife at a Runequest game. (She was my best friend’s girlfriend at the time.)

The gaming system for Runequest was pretty good. I also liked their Elric game that was based on the same system.

2. adamrice says:

I liked Runequest’s mechanics so much better than AD&D’s, back in the day.

3. Stefan Jones says:

Glorantha was around long before Runequest.

I want to see a Kickstarter to get White Bear, Red Moon and Nomad Gods boardgames reprinted. And finally get Masters of Luck and Death onto the shelves!

• Jeff Richard says:

You may well get that wish.

• Stefan Jones says:

Stretch goal: Recreate the original mimeograph rulebook!

(I actually have three copies of White Bear, Red Moon. The  second edition I bought in 1977 or so, the fancy slick boxed redesign, and the first edition I bought from the same game-convention flea market table.)

• edgore says:

I had the first two, and a copy of Dragon Pass, which held all my Runequest Glorantha maps for the next 20 years. (BTW, belated Chaosium writer high-five, Stefan)

• Stefan Jones says:

Oh, that’s right, the slick version was retitled Dragon Pass!

I really treasure those old games. Stafford’s odd mythos and prose, and those lovely graphics.

(Oh, and those funky Wyrm’s Footnotes zines!)

4. Tuff Luke says:

Maybe we can also get Bunnies & Burrows up and running again.

5. Al Billings says:

All these old school game systems are tired. The state of the art really has improved since we all carried encyclopedia sized tomes in the 80s when we wanted to game. I encourage people to check out things like D. Vincent Baker’s “Apocalypse World,” Burning Wheel, anything using the One Roll Engine or the like. Games that make story and smoothness of place more important than giant tables of rules and spells. (I also encourage people to check out hacks of AW like “Monsterhearts.”)

6. Daemonworks says:

Cory… Glorantha wasn’t an RPG. It was the name of a fantasy world that several games were set in. (The most recently published being 2009’s HeroQuest 2nd ed)

7. Harbo says:

Is not “Lanhkmar” ~1937 (Lieber and Fischer), the precursor of RPGs?

8. Dewgeist says:

Elves will always be vegetable matter to me…

9. Dorkomatic says:

I loved those stories of Griselda and her friends set in Glorantha by Oliver Dickinson.
    Also I came across my old copy of Bunnies & Burrows recently.

10. Barbara Dace says:

I’d like to see a revival of “Empire of the Petal Throne”…now, there was a fascinating RPG world!  A wildly different cultural setting than the usual Euro-centric fantasy…the game designer was an Urdu linguist and South Asian scholar, and a healthy dose of lost-world SF also informed the design.

• absimiliard says:

I loved Barker’s work!  I quite enjoyed both books as well.  (though I think “Man of Gold” is the better of the two to my eyes)

• edgore says:

Empire of the Petal Throne with a good game system would be a wonderful thing. Actually, the Runequest ruleset adapts pretty well to it.