10 Responses to “Rise of the Graphic Novel: everything you need to know about the comics field in 70 pages”

1. Andrew Singleton says:

Adding to my to-read list.

2. Paul Renault says:

I sure hope that “The complete history of this popular format” include non-anglophone examples.  I’ll just assume it include non-US example.

/..”paging Captain Canuck”

• Sekino says:

Since Death Note is manga, I’m hoping it means that they do cover the non-US stuff (and even then not just Tintin, Tintin, Tintin and some Asterix…). Looking forward to check it out though.

3. Seg says:

If anyone’s making a lesson plan with comics, I would also like to remind people that “Understanding Comics” by Scott McCloud is also a very good read! This book focuses on the language and conventions of comic books — and visual art in general — and how it applies to storytelling though sequential art.

• Frank Lee Scarlett says:

Hear, hear. “Understanding Comics” is also an excellent primer for interaction design in that it deftly explores and explains human response to visual stimulus.

It’s a classic, and I always recommend it to students as a companion to Tufte’s works, which are also essential, but which ignore some very fundamental aspects of human cognition.

4. euansmith says:

Graphic Novel? Is that like one of them big thick comic books?

5. sockdoll says:

I hope there is at least a nod given to Lynd Ward’s work.

6. aperturehead says:

When long-form comics became “graphic novels” that’s when I bailed on most of the genre. The experimental side of graphic novels should have lasted three maybe four years max, but here we are in 2013 still allowing comic artists to fill entire 128-page graphic novels with stories that could have been edited down to 12-pages. Experimentation is great in any art form, but experimentation without self-editing is kinda dull

7. MikeMoranJr says:

*Kavalier & Clay, not Cavalier. (Chabon fan, sorry)