Struggle for Catan: cutthroat card game for family fun/fights

15 Responses to “Struggle for Catan: cutthroat card game for family fun/fights”

1. comma splice says:

If you want to break from the Catan universe with another card game, I would recommend Dominion.

Also, if you have five or more people (up to a max of ten) pick up Resistance. This game will really get you fighting amongst yourselves!

• fungstyle says:

I second the vote for dominion! Though I will warn you, you’ll get addicted pretty quickly and need to purchase expansions.

I would also recommend Ticket to Ride for a similar strategy game but that is more individually competitive than either Settlers of Dominion.

Also, we bought Anomia after your post and we (my husband and I) love it! Thanks!

• invictus says:

It should be noted that while an excellent game in its own right, Dominion isn’t actually using the same mechanics. Dominion is first and foremost a deck-building game, where Struggle for Catan is a hand management game. Not saying one is better than the other, just that you shouldn’t expect exactly the same experience.

Oh, and a recommendation of my own: Race for the Galaxy. Less confrontational than Settlers or Struggle (or Dominion, depending on the cards you choose), but it has that “myriad paths to victory” feel to it that I so enjoy about both Settlers and Dominion.

2. RitaMarieM says:

I bought this game on Boing Boing’s recommendation a couple years ago and my family and I played once. Once. Once. Just once.

3. Pink Frankenstein says:

I want to make a Paleo Diet friendly version of Settlers with butter instead of wheat ;)

Sounds fun, it’s nice to have a game that can be played easily anywhere because you don’t have to set up a board and deal with unexpected earthquakes.

4. Pink Frankenstein says:

Sounds fun. Nice to have a game that’s a bit easier because you don’t have a board to deal with and accidental earthquakes.

I want to make a paleo version of Settlers with butter instead of wheat! ;)

5. Chad Smith says:

I love the “fight” reference… Much like Risk, nothing brings a family to near-blows like Settlers.  All in the name of wholesome fun though :)

6. Paul Cooke says:

there already is a card game version of Settlers of Catan… released way back in ’96

7. euansmith says:

There is an expansion set available for this game, called, “Enduring Freedom”. It only contains one card and the text says, “Everyone Loses”.

8. I still haven’t gotten my copy of cities and knights to the table. The problem is we mostly bust out Catan when introducing someone to the wonderful world of boardgames. Since its a new player we don’t want to complicate things with expansions, but if we have all experienced gamers we go for something meatier than Catan at all. First world nerd problems!