Steampunky concept motorcyle

This is the creation of Mikhail Smolyanov, whose concept bike designs are, to a one, wonderful to behold. Funnily nostalgic, gloriously impractical, and beautifully rendered.

Solifague Design (via Kadrey)

17 Responses to “Steampunky concept motorcyle”

1. nixiebunny says:

That is indeed beautifully rendered.

Guy needs to learn how spokes work, though. These ones won’t hold tension. As an engineer, blunders of that magnitude ruin the experience for me.

• dragonfrog says:

I just looked back at the spokes and recoiled (slightly) in (mild) horror.  In the smaller front-page preview, the trailing spokes on the far side of the wheel look like leading spokes

• timquinn says:

I think in this case we can allow that he knows how spokes work and is playing with you. Certainly one can imagine a mechanism whereby this could be accomplished. The attachment points don’t have to really be where they appear to be. They could continue into the hub and be securely welded so they would not twist. This would produce some springiness maybe, but not when spinning. What I mean to say is it could be designed to play with your sense of proper design which seems wholey appropriate in a show vehicle, whereas in a staircase, for example, the visual awkwardness might actually lead to falls.

• timquinn says:

As I look at it again I take it all back. Too much stress on those joints any way I can imagine attaching them. Would like to have a closer look though. To see if he gave it any thought.

2. CliffordS says:

Steam powered motorcycles were a real thing.  So if it actually existed?  Is it still “steampunk”?

3. destroy_all_humans says:

i think they just invented a motorcycle that turns worse than an RV

• peregrinus says:

Get your motor runnin’
      Head out on the highway
      Lookin’ for adventure
      Gonna take that exit

Wait, darlin’
      Didn’t really make it happen
      Gonna have to wait just a little while
      the next one just might be straight
      Then we’ll explode into space

etc

Does look nice though.  Top score for lip-smacking beauty.

• dragonfrog says:

And clears speed bumps worse than one of those stupid sports cars lowered to within an inch or two of the ground.

4. Sebastian Wiers says:

Ce n’est pas une moto.  Grab a grinder and a welder, spend a few hundred hours in the shop, then you have a motorcycle.  Pet peeve, given I have the blisters from doing the later.

5. skeptacally says:

wait.  did he just old-ify the newest bat cycle?

6. penguinchris says:

Came across this wonderful 1931 creation in the National Archives of the Netherlands’ flickr account recently: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nationaalarchief/4193508328/

7. Andy Kerr says:

An interesting cross between steampunk and the streamlined look of the ’30s. Other than the spokes (I noticed that right away, too) I don’t see anything that couldn’t actually be built here.

8. Doctor Device says:

isn’t the rear shock in the wrong place? any load on the swingarm would be pulling on it instead of pushing. (that’s the first engineering blunder I noticed)

9. timquinn says:

You guys ever been to a car show? Take it on its own terms. Next you will be saying that that cape would never make Superman fly.