I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

14 Responses to “Toy "blooming flower" uses nested, dyed fans of tissue paper to surprise, delight”

1. s2redux says:

Can we thus assume that you finally got your bloomers back from United?

2. laurakeet says:

I loved these things when I was a kid! Got them at the gift shop of the Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh, I think.

3. hungryjoe says:

Here’s a vaguely similar thing we saw a lot in China:

4. Steve White says:

I got my three years olds these several years ago in Chinatown. Endlessly cool and surprisingly durable.

5. Sekino says:

That brings me back! My aunt got me one when I was a kid. They’re fascinating.

6. There was one left at the Amazon link, so I grabbed it. At least I thought I did: We’re sorry. Some items became unavailable after you added them to your shopping cart. Click here to return to the product detail page and try another seller.

7. Timmo Warner says:

Sometimes I can put them on my shirt? When? When?!

8. GlenBlank says:

I have one of those sitting about two feet from my keyboard in a pencil jar.  It was a favorite among the acolytes of the Church of the Holy Toy, a religion I accidentally invented after-hours at the old LHC RenFaire in Agoura.

I once had a strolling magician aboard an Amtrak train from Santa Barbara to LA invite me to the Magic Castle after I gave him the one I had at the time, which I’d demonstrated as a response to his sleight-of-hand. (Lost his card, though, and couldn’t recall his name, so I never got to take him up on it.)

9. Dimmer says:

“I once had a strolling magician aboard an Amtrak train … invite me to the Magic Castle after I gave him … one”

Two innuendos in one sentence. Prizes! Maybe even three if you count the “Magic Castle”.

10. blueelm says:

Oh wow. I had several of these as a child. I never knew how they worked and was not the sort of kid to strike or shake a toy. So I would just kind of open them a little and then shut them back thinking “wow, these things are too easy to break.”