Hacking the Xbox, free in honor of Aaron Swartz

7 Responses to “Hacking the Xbox, free in honor of Aaron Swartz”

1. Eva says:

Wonderful! I have been very excited to read this.

2. spocko says:

Wow. I really feel for him. I know very much how he feels, having gone up against ABC/Radio Disney in a copyright case (which I won.)
    Here is the boing boing link to my story

I mentioned this case to Cory during his recent book tour. In my case I had the support of the EFF, if you don’t have the backing of somebody it’s really really scary.  (Plug, become a member of EFF!)

Having a multi-billion dollar corporation come after you, a company known for their copyright litigiousness, one that that hires lawyers by the train load, is really spooky, even with support.

I do wish I could have flipped the case and sued them for the emotional pain and suffering I went though, but I was told that it would be a hard case to win.  My lawyers might have reconsidered this now following a case that shows that the emotional pain and suffering of a suit can lead to death.

I also was fortunate to be writing under a pseudonym, because my opponents weren’t just corporate lawyers but wingnut radio hosts. Two of whom lost their jobs because of the financial impact of my work. That was personal for them. They have even admitted to holding a grudge.

• unit_1421 says:

My partner’s gotten two lawyers disbarred for abuse of process and won a landmark case back in the 70′s (Wendel v. State Farm), so tell your lawyers to go for the jugular, because, fuck Disney.

3. teapot says:

TBH MIT sounds like a bunch of complete dicks.

Based on reputation MIT should be the EFF of universities, but instead they’re the Adrian Lamo of techno douche-bags.

This will be a good read… Thanks Bunnie!

RIP Aaron.
    DIAF Ortiz. Seriously. DIAF.

4. Nell Anvoid says:

Very well put, Bunnie.

I keep thinking (wishfully…hopefully) that the vile aspects of our “system” will turn on themselves, or just collapse out of sheer inanity.  But it keeps getting worse, in the most hideous Darwinian fashion.

We should all worry when a specific profession…or service…such as law starts being referred to as an “industry.”  It’s certainly not about justice any more.

5. Promethean Sky says:

I’ve been meaning to read this for a long time, but kept putting it off. i.e. Too cheap to buy it, and the library doesn’t have a copy.

6. Thanks, bunnie!

But I find myself feeling more and more…i don’t know the word I want because saddened isn’t strong enough and…I don’t know…but with every tribute to Aaron Swartz it gets stronger. Because none of it will bring this amazing young man back. I didn’t know Aaron, and I can’t say why this hits me so hard. But we have to stop doing this to amazing young people like Aaron Swartz.