DIY cellphone

19 Responses to “DIY cellphone”

1. nixiebunny says:

I like it! this stretches the boundaries of what we consider to be home-producible. The use of a GSM module is a bit of cheating, but not much.

• SamSam says:

Not sure if you’re suggesting he’s supposed to laser-etch his own nation-wide cellphone network, or if there’s an actual viable alternative to using GSM in the US.

Oh, if you’re talking about the module itself… well, it’s about as “cheating” as using an Arduino in your project, I guess?

• nixiebunny says:

Yes, I consider using an Arduino to be cheating a bit, since it’s a prefab gizmo. On the other hand, I can’t imagine anyone other than a cellphone design engineer making their own GSM module, and even then it’s a major engineering challenge.

2. Ito Kagehisa says:

It’s… beautiful

3. Deidzoeb says:

DIY for that portion of the population with access to a laser. I mean a laser that cats would not chase for very long.

• jackbird says:

Most large cities have places where you can rent time on a laser cutter.  It’s just a hair above saying “DIY for that portion of the population with a bandsaw.”

• SedanChair says:

You 200 years ago: “DIY for that portion of the population with access to a lathe”

You 1000 years ago: “DIY for that portion of the population with access to a waterwheel”

You 100,000 years ago: “DIY for that portion of the population with access to a properly knapped hand axe”

• paulcarcosa says:

Some people build laser cutters from DVD writers. Probably the same kind of people who build cellphones from scratch.

• Deidzoeb says:

Let me try it this way: this project is DIY for some values of Y.

• Gilbert Wham says:

Ain’t they all? It’s beyond my capabilities, but I’m able to do simpler things, like swap out the engine in my car for a better one. I know people that’d call in professional help to get a shelf put up.

4. Forkboy says:

I’d like to see someone combine a module like this with a raspberry pi to create a home made smartphone/fablet.

• Andrew Singleton says:

Almost sure you’d end up with something as thick as the original brick gameboy but that actually sounds like a pretty neat idea.

5. peregrinus says:

Tip of the iceberg, and beautiful it is too.

Within, what, 5 years, this will be so commonplace.  You’ll have someone in town chucking together beautifully designed and presented phones, using Samsung innards (or whatever), and custom-building them for you – cheap too.

I love change.

6. anansi133 says:

Okay, suppose I hire someone to build this thing: how does one go about connecting to the phone system? Do you buy some sort of pay-as-you-go contract with a carrier?

• Contract or pay-as-you go. Doesn’t matter as long as it’s on a network that follows widely accepted standards. So no worries if you are in EU, but might not work some networks in the USA.

7. bcsizemo says:

I look at it and want it to be a giant dock for an iphone.  I know it’d be completely non-functional as a carry-able phone, but at first glance that is all I can see.

8. Brother Phil says:

Either that, or a sim only contract. I don’t know where you are, but in the UK, pay as you go sims are in the pound shops.

9. Deidzoeb says:

OIY = Outsource It Yourself?