Games to play during commercial breaks

12 Responses to “Games to play during commercial breaks”

1. awjt says:

How about “punch your brother on the arm”?  I LOVE that one!!!

2. SamSam says:

The first one would be way too easy when watching PBS. It’s that European river cruises ad 80% of the time, and the Calvin Klein one the other 20%.

I can’t be the only Downton Abby watcher here.

3. Finnagain says:

What are “commercial breaks”?

4. Daneel says:

“Player two immediately mutes the television”
    I already play this game. Along with “Player two immediately turns over” and “Player two gets so distracted during the breaks that he ends up forgetting he was watching TV and end up surfing the internet instead”.

5. James Mason says:

How about playing “Let’s get a DVR?”  Players do this, then watch shows at their leisure instead of being chained to a media timetable.  Player 1 is in charge of skipping the ads using the remote.  Player 2 (as well as any others) has/have the option of yelling “Hey go back, what was that!?” at any time, and Player 1 complies unless he or she can provide a suitable reason not to.  Should Player 1 forget to skip the ads “too often”, control of the remote moves to Player 2 (and so on…)

6. naufragio says:

My wife and I play the “explain game.” One person picks something (a thing, a concept, whatever) and the other person has to explain as much as they can about it until the commercial ends, stream-of-thought. So she’ll say, “wolverines.” And I’ll have to say everything that I know or think about wolverines: “They’re mammals; kind of confrontational, I think, because the University of Michigan uses them as a mascot, and I think they’re supposed to be fierce; I always confuse them with badgers, and honestly, I also sort of mix them up with gophers and groundhogs — which might be the same thing; and then there’s the honey badger. Is the honey badger actually a badger, or is like the whale shark, which is neither a whale nor a shark?” And on until the commercial ends. Then next commercial break, maybe I’ll say, “Belgium,” and she has to say everything that she knows about Belgium. Etc. It’s pretty fun. You learn a lot about people this way — how they associate concepts.

7. SoItBegins says:

The only problem I see with this game is that it requires you to actually watch the commercials.