I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

10 Responses to “Documentary on hidden victims of Greek austerity that's crowdfunded, free & CC-licensed”

1. BlackPanda says:

I’m fascinated by this, as I was over there about 2 months ago, and at least in Athens, I saw no visible signs of decay at all, unless you count the prominent Neo-Nazi posters scattered around the place.

2. singe_101 says:

Couldn’t there be some kind of community service required?

• tacochuck says:

Couldn’t some kind of timely, fair and safe process for asylum seekers be required instead?

Blaming the victims of mob and state violence is not helpful to anyone. Find jobs and a decent life for people and you will be amazed how hard people work and how well they integrate into a community.

• singe_101 says:

I agree it would be good to “find jobs” but that applies to millions of people in Greece and there are many people who do not feel safe or fairly treated even in their lifelong home.

3. Mike Drips says:

The right wing is on the rise in Greece and according to people I know there, Greece borders on anarchy.

• sky croeser says:

‘Anarchy’ would be much better. A significant proportion of the antifascist/antiracist organising happening in Greece now is based in anarchist (or anarchist-ish) communities. Most of the fascist graffiti that you see around here has been covered over with anarchist antifa messages, and the anarchist squat/social centre scene is an important base for providing safe spaces and services (like collective kitchens) for migrants and other marginalised sectors of the Greek population.

4. CaptainPedge says:

crowd-funded and CC licensed? I smell a DMCA take down  notice on its way…

5. Brad Bell says:

This desperately needs to be framed as an EU problem. The EU is composed of 45 countries and it doesn’t want to equitably deal with refugees, which is a humanitarian and aid-oriented problem, ie. 42 countries don’t get a free ride due to an accident of geography. It also needs to be framed as a critical problem that deserves humanitarian aid, ie. responsibility needs to be made more equitable right now.