Caddis fly larvae coaxed into building cocoons out of precious metals and gems

18 Responses to “Caddis fly larvae coaxed into building cocoons out of precious metals and gems”

1. Antinous / Moderator says:

Well, at least they’re not hellgrammites.

2. Bender says:

Pretty damn clever of him.

3. Jake0748 says:

So yeah, now you can have your gold jewelry made by enslaved bugs.  No further need to use whining human workers who might want a living wage n stuff.

• PhasmaFelis says:

Are you trolling? You’re trolling, aren’t you. Try harder.

• ImmutableMichael says:

I was just about to say “it was funny but doesn’t look like trolling to me”. But then I thought, “maybe PhasmaFelis is trolling and i’ll look stupid for responding”… Trolling/meta trolling.

Now I’m just confused. Mine’s a double. Thanks.

• Gulliver says:

Do not try to feed the troll — that’s impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth: there is no troll. Then you’ll see that it is not the troll that trolls, it is only yourself.

• PhasmaFelis says:

I didn’t intend to troll, but maybe I got too snarky and trolled by mistake. Maybe I trolled myself. Shit, that’s heavy. I think I need to lie down.

(Srs tho my forum vice is overreacting/being way snarkier than is actually justified, not trolling. I think. Hope.)

4. siloxane says:

Big deal. I can get larvae to produce cocoons out of pure silk!

5. noah django says:

>bio-organic jewelry

I had to go over it a few times, but I think these are just objéts d’art.  there’s no mention in the link of them being jewelery, it just says stuff like “sculptural.”  these things are cool.

6. planettom says:

I don’t know the answer to this, I’m just asking the question.

Do the flies develop normally after doing this?  Do they grow into happy adult flies?

Or is doing this, the touch of death, from Mr. Goldfinger (bwah bwah, bwah!).

That is, is this just an artistic variation of pulling the wings off flies or standing above an anthill with a magnifying glass?

• Beanolini says:

No reason why they shouldn’t develop normally after this, they make their cases from far less savoury (and less inert) materials in the wild. It does rather depend on the goodwill of M. Duprat as to whether they actually end up as ‘happy adult flies’.

He must have been doing this for an awful long time, I remember seeing a magazine article about it in the mid 90s.

7. Birdseed says:

I misread this as “caddish fly larvae”, which made me ponder what prompted such etymological invectives. Was it the rather showy flaunting of their riches?