Drop: Minecraft creator's latest game is a typing tutor (or seems like one)

30 Responses to “Drop: Minecraft creator's latest game is a typing tutor (or seems like one)”

1. 11! High 5!

And the game announced it was “ashamed” to be defeated so quickly.

2. jandrese says:

This is a neat little demo.  I got 87 after a couple of tries, but I think I can do better.  Missing a letter is pretty punishing though, you gotta be careful.

3. Timmo Warner says:

Best I’ve done is 42 or so. It gets hard fast!

4. Micheal Moose says:

My best is 72, I glance down at the keyboard too much and miss letters

5. Joe Matise says:

177, first time.  I guess I’m good at typing?

6. Rich says:

128 first try, 303 after several others and now my eyes hurt so I stopped.

7. sluggo says:

I had good luck with seeing blocks of ‘werds’ and typing batches at a time.

• David Watson says:

90 my first try. I agree, it’s easy when you can see the whole word, but then my brain goes kablooie because I can’t figure out what I’m typing.

8. retchdog says:

130ish. it’s really annoying to not have the whole word to start with. is that the point? to force you to recognize and type common n-grams rather than words?

9. jdogg says:

345 biczes

10. Anders Smith says:

340 is current best. It’s an interesting flow-of-consciousness feeling when you get a groove going. After a few plays, you start recognizing the words, which helps immensely.

11. Current best is 123 (on QWERTY), but I’ve been learning the Dvorak keyboard.  Be interesting to use this for practice sessions.

12. weatherman says:

I think there’s something else going on with this “game”. I think it’s related to the choice of words; eternal, truth, harmony, universe, gnostic, lucid, mind, journey.. all of these words interact with each other in interesting ways. Combined with the motion of the letters, I almost felt like I was drifting, or approaching a meditative state. And then >slam< I get hit at the end with UNLOVED.

They're calling it a game, but somebody's clearly trying to mess with my head. After playing it for half an hour, I feel like an MKUltra subject.

13. Amanda Knutson says:

My current best is 642, but I think in an earlier run I broke 700.  There are only a few words that you have to be able to type, and they all start with a unique letter.  Aware, beauty, c?, deconstruct (also drop, but that’s just the starting word), eternal, fractal, harmony, insight, journey, know, lucid, mind, nothing, open, polygon, quesiton, reward, space, truth, universe, visual, warm, nothing for x, y, or z that I can remember.

14. Amanda Knutson says:

Wow, unloved, hadn’t seen that word yet.  Guess you made it pretty far?

15. technogeekagain says:

120 on first few tries. Yes, the big trick is learning its vocabulary and being able to quickly recognize/read the words so you can blast them back out.

Not sure that qualifies as “typing tutor” per se, though it does favor touchtypists.

16. legsmalone says:

That is insanely entertaining. I keep it in the mid eighties and I’m okay with that.

17. jimbuck says:

I got 4034.  Is that good?

18. danegeld says:

reminds me of a spelling game I saw once that was aimed at schools to improve typing accuracy; the developer put in an easter egg so that the app also accepted all txting l33tspeak abbreviations of the desired words.

19. R Cassidy says:

No last starfighters here.

20. Jeninlb says:

I got 291, and thought that was pretty decent before looking at the other posts here. Seems like no matter how quickly or slowly you type, you end up with a negative word when you blow it. Totally feels like a psychology 101 test.

21. Kimberly says:

497 but I am done before it starts messing with my eyes and or brain any further.

22. Wren Goodman says:

328 for the moment. I’m starting to feel like this: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/File:Paradigm_crackers.jpg

23. Mark is so cool; he can say that he can’t type and announce a bad highscore at the same time, and no-one blinks an eye.

24. RevelryByNight says:

600 but now I have a headache.

25. Christopher Houser says:

113 on my second. Not a fan of reading in a circle.