10 Responses to “Necessary Evil - a triumphant end to the Milkweed Triptych where Nazi X-Men fight English warlocks”

1. Gilbert Wham says:

I loved the first one, couldn’t get away with the second, and gave up part-way through. Maybe I’ll try again.

2. TheOven says:

I think that’s the worst book cover I’ve ever seen.

• invictus says:

Really? You should look up some Baen books, then. Legendary among my bookseller friends.

• TheOven says:

Ha, yes, they have some rotten covers – but, they’re all painted and “on brand” from what I saw.

This one above is a bad photo-shopped onto what… a school desk? The typography, with it’s degraded typeface and drop-shadows is lipstick they give out at Halloween – on a pig.

Not to judge the book, mind you. It’s probably awesome. I’ll  have to go buy it and read it now because I’ve been so mean to the cover – I should make up for that somehow.

• gmills says:

I was moved to post precisely because of the shockingly poor quality of the cover. The release cover of Bitter Seeds was gorgeous – creepy, ironic, sexy – and now we get this humorless schlock.  Grrrr.  The UK cover is slightly better – it only looks like a video game ad and not a self-published zombie time travel romance novel.

• OtherMichael says:

I just finished “Coldest War” last night (or this morning? It was circa midnight), and I liked the cover. One guy, a building in the background, and then noise and a scraped background. I don’t remember the type treatment (which could have been poor, but not awful enough for me to notice).

I thought it was appropriate for all of the murky ethics.

3. JustAdComics says:

Sounds good. I picked up the first one and have held off reading it until the next two came out. I like reading trilogies one after the other, so this looks like I’m in for a treat. :)

4. tfd2 says:

i absolutely loved the first two books, and i can’t wait to read this one. i also found charles stross’s Laundry novels by association (after reading Ian Tregillis’s blog), and they’re very good as well.  Tregillis will be in SF this weekend for a book signing and talk, for those of you in the area.

5. Mat Linnett says:

Really wasn’t expecting this so soon after the last one, and was delighted to see the receipt in my email.

I’m currently re-reading The Saga of the Pliocene Exiles for the first time in 20 years, and plan on going straight on to Intervention and The Milieu Trilogy immediately after, but this is a wonderful thing to have waiting for me once that marathon read is over.

I’d post my ruminations on re-reading a classic series with such a long gap in-between, but I really don’t want to take away from Mr. Tregillis’ moment.