Algoraves: dancing to algorithms

Alex sez, "Algoraves are parties where people come together to dance to algorithms. It generally involves some live coding but any producers making music "wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive conditionals' are welcome. Generally some aspect of the algorithmic processes are visible, but the focus is actually on the audience, and having serious fun. We've had a few parties across the UK and Germany, and are spreading further afield in Mexico and Australia. The concept is still developing though, and is being defined by whoever turns up."

algorave (Thanks, Alex!)

27 Responses to “Algoraves: dancing to algorithms”

1. Bill says:

Al Gore Rhythms

2. oasisob1 says:

Are they also dancing according to algorithms?

3. fractos says:

There is nothing funnier than watching people trying to dance to Autechre.

4. 10xor01 says:

When I saw this, I expected the dancers to be bubble sorting themselves.  Unless they’re good dancers.  Then they’d enact quick sort.

5. niktemadur says:

Pshaw, I’m gonna invent Wolfraves, dancing to Wolfram Tones, cellular automata Rule 30.

6. niktemadur says:

Picture three guys at the high school cafeteria talking about last night’s algorave.
    Suddenly one of them ejects milk through the nose and blurts out:  “Did you see that?  Heather #1 just looked right at me!”

7. DreadJester says:

I thought nothing would ever steal the geek crown from LARP’ing……

8. Y8 says:

I have read lots of online articles about this subject recently.  Yours is the only person that actually made sense in my experience.  Thanks a lot.

9. CH says:

I’m apparently getting old…. oh, my poor ears!

If somebody else is interested in what kind of coding they are doing, here is a sample: http://www.pawfal.org/dave/index.cgi?Projects/Scheme%20Bricks
    and an explanation here: http://toplap.org/temporal-recursion/
    (“wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive conditionals” sounded a bit too much like bs to me.)

10. They need more people, strobe lights, a bit of ganja and some molly, because seeing a well-lit small group of sober nerds half-heartedly bobbing to music and one guy loosing his shit is making me cringe.

11. Larry Anderson says:

Back when we did dot matrix printed reports at work (on an old imagewriter, fast and noisy!)  there were a couple that actually had a great beat to them.  This sounds similar.

12. Chris S says:

I suppose that you don’t need to worry about getting public rights for the music, since none of this is recorded music, nor even written down in sheet form. That’s a neat way to sidestep a lot of copyright issues around performing either recordings or written music in public.

• Gilbert Wham says:

I’d argue dance music DJs are producing transformative works anyway. If they’re any good, that is.

13. Gilbert Wham says:

This is, basically, what a live P.A. is: artists producing electronic music on the fly. Only there’d (hopefully) be more people and a better lighting rig.

14. Surprisingly good 3D considering.  Glad I still had a pair of red blue glasses.

15. Alex Liggett says:

Not Safe for Headphones!!