You cannot light a candle with a taser

In case you were wondering. (Also: tasers play merry hell with digital video cameras, it seems)

Taser Candle (via JWZ)

19 Responses to “You cannot light a candle with a taser”

1. Doesn’t look like you can light one with a stun gun, either.

• relawson says:

I’m surprised no one else called it here!

Of course a taser can! Haven’t they ever played Syphon Filter? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3fZhbMXqk0

2. Jake0748 says:

Doesn’t look like tasers are much good for anything. ‘Cept maybe for torturing people.

3. Antinous / Moderator says:

Soak the wick in gasoline, n00b.

4. Oh well.  Even if you could do it, I can’t really see a romantic dinner or zen meditation kicking off in that manner.

5. malindrome says:

Next up: can you light a candle with pepper spray?  The answer may surprise you!

6. Zippy says:

I’m not surprised that tasers play hell with digital video cameras. we built a haunted house many years ago that included a Jacobs ladder and it completely wiped out our communications  within 50 feet of it

• PhasmaFelis says:

It kinda looks like it’s overloading the light receptors rather than electromagnetic shenanigans. I could be wrong, though.

7. peregrinus says:

If you can’t light a candle with it, it’s obviously safe for use on humans.  Discussion closed.

8. t3kna2007 says:

> Also: tasers play merry hell with digital video cameras, it seems

Shhhh, they may be listening.

“Upon exiting his vehicle, the subject turned toward me and I observed the subject pointing his camera-weapon in my direction, at which time I responded with my taser.”

9. simenmm says:

This is what I believe is going on with the video: The camera uses a rolling shutter, that is, the whole picture isn’t taken at once, it iterates over the field of view from top to bottom over a short period of time. The taser is flashing with a shorter period than the camera, so during the course of one frame, it turns on and off at least once. This causes the flash of light to be visible only in parts of the image.

10. timquinn says:

You could use the taser to convince someone to light the candle. That usually works.

11. Kimmo says:

No, I bet what’s happening is the crapness of Flash, and the hassle of video on a PC in general.

IMO it’s plain old frame tearing; I’d give even odds it’s properly recorded as strobing full frames but it’s merely the playback that’s munted.

Any Flash my browser shows is just utter piss, with torn frames all over the place. Playing video with any media player is better, but torn frames are still noticeable when the camera pans or anything moves fast. An analog telly would sync itself to the signal and the screen refresh would be dancing to the tune of the airwaves, but a PC has to deliver the frames perfectly on time to the display which in itself is more difficult than you’d think, and then there’s the fact that there’s almost always no dividing the display’s refresh rate by the video’s frame rate and getting an integer.

I can verify my theory by downloading the vid and rebooting onto another partition upon which I have an old and broken Windows install that’s all kinds of messed up, except that it was the beneficiary of several days’ painful and tedious googling and futzing about that eventually yielded perfect video playback. Wish I could remember the trick, dammit.

• brainflakes says:

Yeah most cheap digital cameras (especially the cameras ones you get on cellphones) have a rolling shutter when recording video.

12. Cowicide says: