Dyed chicks go for less than a dime

22 Responses to “Dyed chicks go for less than a dime”

1. awjt says:

Dude, these chicks are a dime a dozen.

2. Humane society -> KFC –> profit!

3. retepslluerb says:

Man, I’m so glad that shit like this is more or less illegal ove here.

4. If I can find some, I will have to get them next year for my kids.  I am, however, fully aware about the realities involved in raising chickens:  right now I have a flock of seven chickens, five turkeys, three geese, and two ducks.  My plan is to keep some for eggs, and eat the rest when they get to be large enough.  The geese are still young, but I am waiting to begin harvesting goose eggs — imagine the size of the devilled eggs that those will make.

5. Boundegar says:

Hey, they’re lucky they hatched. Their brothers and sisters are baluts.

• Mitchell Glaser says:

Couldn’t the same technique be used to add in-vitro spices? Mmmmm, Doritos-flavored baluts!

6. soylent_plaid says:

So cruel, and yet so fluffy.

7. Jardine says:

Why would you take them to the Humane Society? They’re chickens. Cut off their heads or have someone else do it, then deep-fry them.

8. Sean Breakey says:

Would be a pretty good idea if people weren’t dumber then the chicks themselves.  Imagine that, chicks eventually turn into chickens!  Who would have thought?..

9. rocketpj says:

I once had a roommate whose idiot girlfriend gave him a rabbit for Easter, 3 weeks before he went into the military.  So I ended up with the fucking thing.  After 2 months I dropped it off on her doorstep.  No idea what she did with it, but she didn’t have it a few weeks later.

10. t3kna2007 says:

> WikiHow offers instructions for dying your own chicks

Dyed chicks are easy!

11. eragle says:

It’d be great if we could evolve past the point of animal cruelty.

12. ticklemonster says:

I’m astounded that trash this inhumane made it onto Boing Boing.

13. Em says:

My mom had a couple of these when she was a kid. It was pretty common where she lived in that time (Oklahoma, 1950s).

14. feetleet says:

Is it better not to be born? To be so much mayonnaise? ‘Cute,’ is a lottery curse. These brightly colored chicks, they’re…Joffrey Baratheon. My McMuffin is blue with godless envy.

15. apoxia says:

My MIL said she remembers getting coloured chicks at easter when she was young (New Zealand in the 60s). She said there was no expectation that they would be fed or kept, and thinks that they were played with briefly and then they probably died. They certainly didn’t stick around That shit wouldn’t happen here now. Thank goodness for progress, both legal progress as well as changes in attitudes towards animals.